From Kent Barnes. Follow him on Twitter @KentBarnes, email him at kent[AT]borderstan.com.
Are you a glass half-full or glass half-empty sports fan? Few would dispute the fact that 2012 was a game-changing year for the DC sports scene, as four out of our five major teams made the playoffs. But how you truly feel about what happened this year depends on how you answer that initial question.
Optimist or Pessimist?
- The optimistic Nationals fan spent the summer with a serious case of â€śNatitude,â€ť and watched the team coast to its first division title and the best record in Major League Baseball.
- The pessimistic Nationals fan is still in shock that the team blew a four-run ninth inning lead and lost to the Cardinals. Moreover, fans canâ€™t stop wondering what could have been if the team didnâ€™t elect to shut down star pitcher Stephen Strasburg before the playoffs even started.
- The optimistic DC United fan was thrilled that the team ended a five-year playoff drought and only lost one match at RFK Stadium all season long. More importantly, theyâ€™re excited that the new ownership group is dedicated to keeping the team in the District for years to come.
- The pessimistic DC United fan is disappointed that the team fell just short of reaching the MLS Cup and continues to wonder when/if the team will finally announce some concrete progress in the ongoing quest for a new stadium.
- The optimistic Redskins fan is still riding high from the victory over the Cowboys in the regular season finale that propelled the team to its first division title since last millennium.
- The pessimistic Redskins fan wishes they could have read about RG3 in the previous paragraph, but instead wonders what the future holds for their superstar quarterback after he tore his ACL and LCL in last weekâ€™s playoff game against the Seahawks.
- The optimistic Borderstan sports fan constantly celebrates the fact that our neighborhood has the best selection of bars in the city where you can catch the big game.
- The pessimistic Borderstan sports fan needs to get up and get another drink.
If youâ€™re a glass half-full sports fan, 2012 was undoubtedly a fantastic year.Â District teams were finally relevant again, attendance rose and hundreds of thousands of local fans had much to celebrate.
If youâ€™re a glass half-empty fanâ€¦ wellâ€¦ at least the Caps are back this weekend.