From Katie Andriulli. Email her at katie[AT]borderstan.com and follow her¬†on Twitter¬†@kandriulli.
It was recently brought to my attention, in¬†this article¬†from
The Onion¬†USA Today¬†that roaming cats are basically killing all the beasts in our skies (and most of those on land, too). Also, there are over 300 roaming cat colonies in DC alone. Basically, what I’m trying to say is that if you go out this weekend, your chances of getting attacked by a cat are probably pretty high. But don’t let that stop you!
- Plus 10 points to¬†Ginger Root Design¬†for throwing an¬†anti-Valentine’s Day drinking party¬†today from 6 pm to 10 pm. Minus 10 points for making me think about Valentine’s Day two full weeks before it’s absolutely necessary.
- In the mood for some banjo with your beer? Obviously you are. One of Columbia Heights’ newer, more notable dive bars,¬†The Pinch,¬†is teaming up with¬†DC Brau¬†tonight for their inaugural¬†Brau Ramble, a bluegrass & beer bonanza that will take place on the last Thursday of every month. The music starts at 8 pm, and it’s free. There will also be tons o’ drink specials and a 9:30 Club ticket giveaway to boot.
- It’s Pisco Sour Day¬†(because why not?) Learn how to¬†make one at home¬†(warning, it’s kinda annoying), or better yet, visit the friendly barkeeps at¬†Lincoln,¬†Ceiba,¬†or¬†The Gibson¬†who will froth your egg whites for you.
- Slam back Chesapeake Bay¬†oysters for 50 cents each and Alexandria’s own Port City beer for $4 a pint at the¬†always solid¬†Urbana¬†in Dupont, which kicks off the first of several¬†local oyster and beer happy hours¬†tonight from 4 to 7 pm.¬†Then go stand drunk outside the Kennedy Center and beg someone for an extra ticket to one (or both) of tonight‚Äôs sold-out Louis C.K. shows.
- Today is¬†Groundhog Day,¬†when we place our hopes and dreams for the future in the hands of a panicked, obese rodent. If for some ungodly reason you’re awake at 7:30 am,¬†head over to the Dupont Circle fountain¬†to see if¬†Punxsutawney¬†Phil’s taxidermied cousin Potomac Phil sees his shadow or not. Or, better yet, sleep in, order some pizza, and watch¬†Groundhog Day on Netflix for the one-thousandth¬†time. It still holds up.
- Well guys, it’s¬†Super Bowl Sunday.¬†Will Ray Lewis cry? (Probably) Will any of the 30 second commercials be worth the $4 million companies spent on them? (No) Will you eat one of these¬†recipes made in a crock pot? (If you know what’s good for you) Tune in to CBS at 6:30 pm to find out the answers to these questions and more. Oh, and once that’s over, fire up the DVR, because PBS ain’t letting some¬†frivolous gentlemen’s sporting competition¬†preempt¬†Downton Abbey. #FREEBATES