It’s way too cold out there. I suggest you hunker down and stay inside. But, if youâ€™re looking for something to do this weekend,Â then look no further. We have your list of the food, music and cultural events going on in (and around) Borderstan January 25, 26 and 27.
Local Events, Exhibits and Nightlife
- Bend it Like… A Spoon?: If you’ve ever wondered how to bend a spoon, there’s actually a class for that. No, really. On Saturday, January 26, theÂ Â Center for Spiritual Enlightenment of the National Spiritualist Association of Churches’ will host a metal/spoon bendingÂ class from 1 until 4 pm. The cost isÂ $40 for CSE members and $55 for non-members. While outside the neighborhood (the class will be held atÂ CSE at 222 N. Washington Street in Falls Church, Va.), it’s a party trick you won’t want to miss.
- Sips (of Sips & Suppers):Â Sips will take over the Newseum (555 Pennsylvania Avenue NW) on Saturday, January 26. Drink cocktails and sample food; all proceeds benefit DC Central Kitchen and Marthaâ€™s Table.
- Long May You Run: To promote the safety of runners,Â Long May You RunÂ will take place this Saturday at 12:30 pm at the Hamilton Theater (600 14th Street NW)Â and feature live performances by Ana Egge, Anne McCue, Mary Battiata & Little Pink, Eric Brace, Doughboys, The Candles (members of Norah Jonesâ€™ band) and Derek Evry. General entry isÂ $75, but students and young professionals receive a discounted price of $25 and $35, respectively; kids attend free. Purchase of a ticket includes not only admittance to the concert and a cash bar, but also includes lunch courtesy of the Hamilton.
- Art Talks – Steven Cushner in Conversation:Â On Saturday, January 26, artist Steven Cushner will speak at Hemphill Fine Arts (1515 14th Street NW) on his current exhibitÂ The Shaped Paintings.Â The discussion begins at 10 am.
DC9Â (1940 9th Street NW)
- Friday, January 25:Â Miyazaki,Â Motion Lines,Â Golden Looks (new line-up of members previously in Hiding Places/ Teenage Aviation), 9 pm
- Saturday, January 26:Â Onuinu, Black Hills, PLOY, 9 pm
Velvet LoungeÂ (915 U Street NW)
- Friday, January 25:Â DJ NAINAS (no time listed)
- Saturday, January 26: Bullmoose, The Naked Bakers, The Outlet Divide, 9 pm
9:30 ClubÂ (815 V Street NW)
- Friday, January 25:Â Femi Kuti and The Positive Force, 8 pm
- Saturday, January 26:Â Cowboy Mouth, All Mighty Senators, 8 pm
Black CatÂ (1811 14th Street NW)
- Friday, January 25: The New York Variety All-Stars Sideshow, 9 pm
- Friday, January 25: Big Daddy Kane with Live Band, 8 pm
- Saturday, January 26: Sister Hazel, 8 pm
- Sunday, January 27: Sunday Brunch featuring the Harlem Gospel Choir, 1:30 pm
- Saturday, January 26: Fort Knox Five, 7 pm