There were two robberies early Friday night near the normally busy 17th Street business corridor that stretches from P to R Streets (full details from MPD 2nd District below).
Both robberies were committed by as many as four young men. No word yet from Police Service Area (PSA) 208 on whether they believe the two robberies were committed by the same group of suspects.
There have been other robberies or assaults or or near the 17th Street strip of restaurants and clubs in the past year. The crimes have occurred at various times and a number of them have been on the 1600 blocks of lettered streets leading to 17th Street. (List below the fold.)
Friday Night Robberies
- Friday, January 29, 8 p.m., Robbery with Gun, 1900 block of 17th Street NW (at Willard Street). â€śAn armed robbery occurred tonight in the 1900 block of 17th Street NW, at approximately 8:00 pm. The case is still being investigated as of this posting. The lookout involved several black males who were last seen operating a silver Lexus with temporary tags and armed with a handgun. The jurisdiction of the tags was unknown. Additional information will be posted.â€ť
- Friday, January 29, 9:45 p.m., Robbery-Force and Violence, 1600 block of R Street NW. â€śA Robbery Force and Violence offense occurred in the 1600 block of R St., N.W. (PSA 208) and was subsequently reported to the MPD. The victim reported that while walking in the area he was approached by four suspects. One of the suspects punched him on the left side of his face. One suspect then told the victim to give them everything in his pocket. The victim complied and gave the suspect his wallet. All suspects then ran north on 17th Street. The suspect(s) lookout is for four black males, nothing further.â€ť
Earlier Crimes in the Area
- January 22, 12:33 p.m., Robbery, 1700 block of 17thÂ Street NW-Sidewalk.
- January 7, Robbery: Assault with Intent, 17thÂ and P Streets NW.
- November 8, 2009, 11:45 p.m., Robbery withÂ Gun,Â 1600 block R Street NW.
- September 12, 2009, 6:30 a.m. Robbery withÂ Gun,Â 1600 block of Q Street, N.W.
- September 6, 2009, 11:30 a.m. Robbery/Force & Violence,Â 1700 block of Church Street N.W.
- September 6, 11:31 p.m.Â Robbery with Gun.Â 1600-block of Swann Street NW.Â Suspect was on a bicycle.
- August 24, 2009, 5 a.m.Â Robbery-Force & Violence in theÂ 1700-block of 17th Street N.W.Â (17th & R).
- August 25, 7:21 p.m.Â Robbery-Pocketbook Snatch in theÂ 1600-block of S Street NW.
- July 20, 2009, 1:18 a.m. Robbery Force & Violence, 17th and Corcoran Streets.