Happy noodle month! Thereâ€™s no better way to observe this month-long celebration than by eating a bowl of, well, noodles.
Thankfully, thereâ€™s no shortage of restaurants in the neighborhood that serve the slippery, slurping goodness. Hereâ€™s what to look out for when youâ€™re ready to put on your party hat and proudly twirl your noodles!
- Hanoi House, 2005 14th Street NW:Â Hanoi House offers 3 different types of Pho, including vegetarian, chicken and beef brisket. In the mood for something less soupy? Try one of their vermicelli rice bowls.
- Rice, 1608 14th Street NW: Lots of items on this Logan Circle restaurantâ€™s menu feature noodles. Try the tofu Pad Thai, the drunken bean noodles (my personal favorite) or even the shrimp spaghetti.
- DC Noodles, temporarily at 1608 14th Street NW:Â The U Street location of DC Noodles is still closed for the construction of the Louis building complex, but Rice (its sister restaurant) is currently serving DC Noodlesâ€™ menu. Hurray! Donâ€™t even think of collecting the check until youâ€™ve tried the noodles in spicy soup (with a choice of wide noodles, rice noodles or egg noodles). It wonâ€™t disappoint.
- Mandu, 1805 18th Street NW:Â This traditional Korean restaurant has a few tempting dishes featuring noodles, including a spicy soba noodle salad, chap-chae (sautĂ©ed potato noodles with veggies and beef) and a veggie somyun noodle bowl.
- Banana Leaves, 2020 Florida Avenue NW:Â So many people were bummed when Banana Leaves burned down a few years ago. But itâ€™s back â€”Â and its menu is full of noodles! Try the cold sesame noodles, the Makmak spicy noodle soup or the honey peanut noodles (egg noodles and rice noodles served with chicken and spinach in coconut milk).
- ShopHouse, 1516 Connecticut Avenue NW:Â If you donâ€™t have time to sit down for a meal, donâ€™t fret â€”Â you can still get your noodles in! Get a noodle bowl at ShopHouse (you can fill it with items such as tofu, steak, veggies, curry sauces, fresh herbs and crushed peanuts) and enjoy it at the office.