Happy Thursday, Borderstanis! After traveling for the last few weekends, Iâ€™m REALLY EXCITED for a weekend back in the District. Per usual, there are no shortage of things to do here in Borderstan (and beyond!) to get the most out of your weekend:
- Thursday, March 3 marks the beginning of the DC Independent Film Festival, which runs through Sunday, March 13. There are a TON of different films being shown at a multiple locations (unfortunately none of the theater venues are officially in Borderstan, but you can make the trek for this) throughout the ten-day period, so you basically have no excuse or reason not to go at some point. Everything looks amazing and Iâ€™m at a loss for which one(s) to check out, so if anyone has recommendations, please let us know.
- Now that youâ€™ve gotten your â€ścultureâ€ť out of the way, head over to U Street on Friday night. Per usual, DC9â€™s weekly Liberation Dance Party is a good bet for blowing off some steam at the end of the week. Doors open at 9 pm and admission is $7; the open bar (rail cocktails only) runs from 9 to 10:30 pm so it makes sense to get there early.
- Fast forward to the end of the night out and look around the U Street corridor for the DC food trucks that tend to frequent the area slinging late night deliciousness (Iâ€™ve seen Eat Wonky and DC Slices there a bunch). While youâ€™re at it, check out Washingtonian’s Best Bites Blog’s nod to March Madness, the Food Truck Fight, where you can fill out a bracket and vote for your favorite local food truck.
- Since weâ€™re all a bit bemused by Charlie Sheenâ€™s antics of late, some savvy bartenders at the Ninth Ward in New York have jumped on the â€ślets-enjoy-watching-this-train wreckâ€ť bandwagon and started mixing up a specialty cocktail inspired by the illustrious (?) Mr. Sheen, himself. The drink, which notably does not contain any illicit substances, combines Coke with Catdaddy Carolina Moonshine (it’s Bourbon, apparently, sort of) to pack a punch thatâ€™s rumored to be similar to tiger blood. If you donâ€™t want to journey to NYC to try this concoction, head over to our local speakeasy, The Gibson, on Saturday night and ask them to recreate this for you. Or, you could also just ask the very capable bartenders to make you their own interpretation of â€śa Charlie Sheenâ€ť and see where your night goes. (Please do not hold me responsible for whatever comes of this).
- Itâ€™s supposed to be rainy this weekend so if you are one of the MANY people who purchased the recent LivingSocial deal for two movie tickets for $9 â€”Â good call. Sunday is a perfect time to catch up on your still-in-theater Oscar nominees or see something new. Alternatively, if youâ€™ve been following Borderstanâ€™s reporting on the recent brouhaha going down at Townhouse Tavern, it might be fun to stop by and check out the scene. It is hands down my favorite photo hunt spot in this city.
What are YOU doing this weekend? Send meÂ YOUR recommendations/thoughts/comments/criticisms below, at Laura(at)Borderstan.com, or @Lmhhabs. Now let the March Madness begin…