Saint’s Patrick’s’ Day â€” like New Year’s Eve â€” is not necessarily a day for everyone. And it has nothing to do with being Irish or not. As one of Borderstan’s contributors said when asked how she might celebrate Saturday, “I’ve always hidden at home on Saint Patrick’s Day.” In other words, she avoids going to bars and lounges, which can be crowded and too raucous for her taste.Â Or as a friend says about New Year’s Eve, “I stay home. It’s amateur night.”
Washington did not get the huge numbers of Irish immigrants (although the Irish are indeed here) that cities such as Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Chicago did in the 19th and early 20th centuries. That’s why thoseÂ cities ares ones where you can experience Saint Patrick’s Day on a grander scale than in DC. (Ever seen the Chicago River run bright green all day on the 17th of March?)
Parades? Those cities have parades worth attending. The DC affair is not so grand and the 2012 DC Saint Patrick’s Day Parade was actuallyÂ last Sunday, March 11.
But if you choose to ignore the advice of one of our contributors (oh, go ahead!) and want to head out on Saturday, here are a few neighborhood options.Â Another suggestion: Walk around the neighborhood â€” you’re sure to find more specials and fun on Saint Patrick’s Day. And if you’ve got more suggestions, throw them in the comments section!
Saturday Festivities in Borderstan
- The Blaguard at 18th and U Streets NW: “All drinks half off until 10 pm… plus all the NCAA action one person can handle.” Highly recommended by several members of the Borderstan team.
- Circa at Dupont, Connecticut Avenue and Q Street NW: “Join us for St. Paddy’s Day brunch! Draft beer specials ’til 5 pm! Stop in and show us your green!”
- Duffy’sÂ Irish Pub at 2106 Vermont Avenue NW: What can you say? It’s Duffy’s and Saint Patrick’s Day.Â Doors open at 11 am and here is what Duffy’s has in store for you: “First 200 people get a free T-shirtâ€¦ DJ spinning all the Irish favorites old and newâ€¦ green Jello shots and green beer. Dropping by throughout the day will be pipers and dancers from The Culkin School of Irish Dance, The Guinness Girls and more!â€ť BTW, no tabs, cash only â€”Â but there is an ATM at Duffyâ€™s.
- Cobalt, 17th and R Streets NW: It’s not only Ladies Night from 4 pm to 3 am, they will also have $5 Jameson Irish Whiskeys and $5 Guinness beers.
- Grand Central in Adams Morgan at 2447 18th Street NW… has lots of specials starting “when we open at noon or 1st Tip-Off (whichever comes first!) for the NCAA Tournament Game.”
- Logan Tavern, 1423 P Street NW: “From 11am to midnight… Chef Alex Zeppos is serving up menu specials all day: Irish Breakfast Platter for Brunch, Beer Based Stew for Dinner, and a Guinness Stout Float with Vanilla Ice Cream and Hazelnuts for Dessert. Resident Mixologist Lisa Weatherholt has concocted some amazing cocktails for the occasion as well.”
- Maddy’s at 1726 Connecticut Avenue NW: “Great specials for St. Patty’s Day! Will have Cow Tippers and Dark Starr Stout Aged in Jameson Barrels and $2 Jello Shots!”
- JR’s Bar & Grill, 17th and Church Streets NW, is combing Saint Patrick’s’ Day with Men in Uniform happy hour: “Drop & Give Me $15, All-U-Care-2-Drink Happy Hour! ” from 4 to 8 pm. Drink specials all night.
- Mova LoungeÂ (new location at 14th and W Streets NW) will have a St. Patrick’s Day Emerald Beer Garden from 3 am to 3 pm with specials: $15 all you can drink draft beer until 6 pm… $20 all you can drink draft beer after 6 pm.
- VIDA Fitness and Capitol City Brewing Company will be hosting a St. Patrick’s Day celebration: “Start off at VIDA Fitness U Street, Metropole, or City Vista with beer tastings from 11 am until 2 pm. Our Member Appreciation Day will feature Capitol City Brewing Company and their brand new Irish Red Ale & Irish Stout along with their famous soft pretzelsÂ & chicken wings. From there the party will move on to Capitol City Brewing Company at 1100 New York Avenue NW featuring $4 pints and traditional Irish fare. Don’t forget that as a VIDA member you’ll received 15% off your bill with your VIDA preferred card!”