The number of crimes in Police Service Area (PSA) 305 last month increased 36% from March 2010. There were 101 crimes compared to 74 the previous March. PSA 305 covers the U Street NW area as well as the Howard University area to the northeast.
The increase was in both property and violent crimes. There were 26 violent crimes last month, up from 20 in March 2010. The number of property crimes increased from 54 in March 2010 to 75 last month. All numbers are from the MPD Crime Database.
What does the trendline show? In March 2008, there were 86 crimes in PSA 307 (19 of them violent crimes) and in January 2009 there were 116 crimes (17 of them violent crimes). Over the past three years, the number of property crimes in March has risen 11% while the number of violent crimes is up 37%. On a year-over-year basis, the total number of crimes in PSA 305 was 17% higher in March 2011 than in March 2008.
Specific Crimes in PSA 305
- Robberies were up dramatically from seven in March 2010 (three with guns) to 22 last month (four with guns) in March.
- Assaults were down almost as much as robberies were up. There were three assaults last month (one with a gun) compared to 11 in March 2010 (one with a gun).
- Gun crimes increased slightly. Gun crimes are all crimes committed with guns. There were five last month compared to four in March 2010.
- Burglaries held steady with four last month as well as in March 2010.
- Thefts doubled. Thefts increased from 17 in March 2010 to 35 last month.
- The number of thefts from autos remained the same. There were 31 “smash and grabs” last month, the same as in March 2010.
- More cars were stolen. The number of stolen autos increased from two in March 2010 to five last month.
PSA 305 Crime Stats for March
Police Service Area 305
|Year||Total Crimes||Violent Crimes||Property Crimes||Gun Crimes||Homicides|
- Total Crimes are Violent and Property Crimes combined.
- Violent crimes are homicides, sex abuse, robbery excluding gun, robbery with gun, assault with dangerous weapon excluding gun and assault with dangerous weapon with gun.
- Property crimes are burglary, theft, theft from auto, stolen auto and arson.
- Gun Crimes are robberies and assaults committed with a gun. Gun crimes are counted here in Violent Crimes.
- Homicides are counted as part of Violent Crimes and were most likely committed with guns.