From Alejandra Owens. You can find her at her food blog, One Bite At A Time. Alejandra also writes for City Eats DC, a Food Network site, where you can book dinner reservations. Follow her on Twitter at @frijolita and email her at alejandra[AT]borderstan.com.Â
C’mon. Be honest. Thursday is practically the weekend, and that means you’re considering ditching the kitchen and going out for dinner. Now you have the perfect excuse to avoid the kitchen: Thursday, April 26 is the annualÂ Dining Out for LifeÂ event which benefits Food & FriendsÂ in DC.
There are 36 participating restaurants right here in the Dupont-Logan-U Street area; see the list at bottom of this post.
Food and Friends providesÂ meals and groceries to nearly 1,500 people in the DC metro area who are facing HIV/AIDS, cancer and other life-changing illnesses. Dining Out for Life is an international eventÂ â€” with funds raised in that city staying in that city.
And it’s easy to take partÂ â€” “more than 150 restaurants throughout the Washington, DC metropolitan area donate 25% to 110% of their proceeds to Food & Friends.” You can find a participating restaurant on the Dining Out for Life website or check our local list below.
“Food & Friends is the only nonprofit organization in the Washington area providing daily, home-delivered, specialized meals, groceries and nutrition counseling to individuals in the community who are facing some of life’s most difficult challenges. The funds raised through Dining Out for Life allows Food & Friends to continue to provide these critical services at NO COST to the clients.”
Below are the participating restaurants in the Borderstan area (with percentage donating in parenthesis).
Restaurants in green on are on/near the 17th Street corridor; restaurants in blue are on/near Connecticut Avenue corridor.
- Annie’s Paramount Steak House, 1609 17th Street NWÂ (100% on dinner)
- Beacon Bar & Grill, 1615 Rhode Island Avenue (25% on dinner)
- BGR – The Burger Joint, 1514 Connecticut Avenue NW (25% on dinner)
- Bistro du Coin, 1738 Connecticut Avenue NW (50% on lunch and dinner)
- Darlington House, 1610 20th Street NW (25% on dinner)
- Dupont Italian Kitchen, 1637 17th Street NW (25% of dinner)
- Grillfish, 1200 New Hampshire Avenue NW (25% of dinner)
- Hank’s Oyster Bar, 1624 Q Street NW (50% on dinner)
- James Hoban’s Irish Pub, 1 Dupont Circle (25% on dinner)
- Cafe Luna, 1633 P Street NW (35% on lunch an dinner)
- Firefly, 1310 New Hampshire Avenue (25% on dinner)
- Floriana, 1602 17th Street NW (35% on dinner)
- La Frontera Cantina, 1633 17th Street NW (25% on dinner)
- La Tomate, 1701 Connecticut Avenue NW (25% on dinner)
- Lauriol Plaza, 1835 18th Street NW (25% on dinner)
- Level One, 1639 R Street NW (35% on dinner)
- Mourayo Restaurant, 1732 Connecticut Avenue (25% on dinner)
- Nage Bistro, 1600 Rhode Island Avenue NW (25% on dinner)
- Pesce, 2002 P Street NW, (25% on dinner)
- Scion Restaurant, 2000 P Street NW (25% on dinner)
- Skewers, 1633 P Street NW (35% on dinner)
- Tabard Inn, 1739 N Street NW (25% on lunch and dinner)
- Thaiphoon -DC, 2011 S Street NW, (25% on dinner)
- Urbana Restaurant and Wine Bar, 2121 P Street (25% on dinner)
- Commissary, 1443 P Street NW (25% on dinner)
- Logan Tavern, 1423 P Street NW (25% on dinner)
- Pearl Dive Oyster Palace, 1612 14th Street NW (25% on dinner)
- Posto, 1515 14th Street NW (100% on dinner)
- Veranda, 1100 P Street NW (25% on dinner)
- Whole Foods Market, 1440 P Street NW (50% on salads and hot bar)
- Bistro La Bonne, 1340 U Street NW (35% on dinner)
- JoJo Restaurant & Bar, 1512 U Street NW (35% on dinner)
- Marvin, 2007 14th Street NW (35% on dinner)
- Sala Thai – U Street, 1301 U Street NW (25% on lunch and dinner)
- Tabaq Bistro, 1336 U Street NW (35% on dinner)
- 18th & U Duplex Diner, 2004 18th Street (25% on dinner)