Looking for something to do this weekend? Well, look no further. We have your list of the food, music and cultural events going on in Borderstan August 10th, 11th and 12th.
Local Events and Exhibits
- Shakespeare in the Circle: On Saturday, August 11, join Dupont Festival & Empty Chair Theatre Co. for a free outdoor production of Shakespeare’s “Hamlet” at the Dupont Circle fountain. The play begins at 8:30 pm. For more information, visit www.dupontfestival.
- “Keep the Lights On” at the Carnegie Institute: Reel Affirmations is showing “the most riveting and compelling film this year” at the Theatre at the Carnegie Institute (1530 P Street NW) on Friday, August 10th at 7 pm and again at 9 pm. Tickets are available for purchase online.
- DC Beer Week: DC’s fourth annual Beer Week kicks off this weekend with more than 180 separate events throughout the city. Visit the official calendar for more information on the week’s events (including some great ones in the neighborhood!), or visit the official website for more information.
- “1001 Inventions: Discover the Golden Age of Muslim Civilization” at National Geographic: Now through February 3, The National Geographic Museum (1145 17th Street NW) is showcasing the often-overlooked inventions brought forth during what Western civilizations considered to be the Dark Ages: innovations in time-keeping, energy-efficiency and even the game of chess. Interactive features allow kids to delve into each invention, learning how they were created, and how they shaped the modern world. The exhibit is open from 10 am until 6 pm daily; admission is $8 for adults and $4 for children.
- Pop-up Music and Fashion Event with OnStage DC: Join OnStage DC for an afternoon of local music, fashion, art and community at the organization’s pop-up event in the courtyard of the M.A. Winter Building at 1436 U Street NW between 4 and 8 pm. For more information, visit the event’s website.
- Justin’s Famous Fish Fry Benefitting DASH: On Saturday, August 11, join Justin Schuck and his policy-focused advertising organization, Influential, for its second “Justin’s Famous Fish Fry.” This year’s event will benefit theDistrict Alliance for Safe Housing (DASH) and the women and children the organization serves. The event starts at 4 pm at 1611 Irving Street NW. Visit the event’s Facebook page for more information.
- Swimming in Ward 2 – Pool Season Extended: Councilmember Evans announced an extended pool season for three Ward 2 swimming pools: Francis Pool (2500 N Street NW), Jelleff Pool (3265 S Street NW) and Volta Pool (1555 34th Street NW). These pools, operated by the District’s Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR), will operate with normal weekday and weekend hours through the Labor Day weekend.
DC9 (1940 9th Street NW)
- Saturday, August 11: Bad Domes Mash-Up Dance Party, 10 pm.
- Sunday, August 12: Cobalt & the Hired Guns, Orchard Wall, 8 pm.
Velvet Lounge (915 U Street NW)
- Saturday, August 11: The Jet Age, Kyle Sowashes, The Mean Ideas, 9 pm.
- Sunday, August 12: Silent Old Mtns, The Sleepwalkers, Black Checker, 7:30 pm.
9:30 Club (815 V Street NW)
- Saturday, August 11: Hot in Here – 2000s Dance Party, 9 pm.
- Sunday, August 12: Real Estate, R. Stevie Moore, 7 pm.
Black Cat (1811 14th Street NW)
- Saturday, August 11: Mixtape with DJs Shea Van Horn and Matt Bailer, 9:30 pm.
- Sunday, August 12: Ragnarok, Evan Valentine CD Recording, 8 pm.
Black Fox Lounge (1723 Connecticut Avenue NW)
- Friday, August 10: Special Agent Galactica, an evening of song and banter, 6 pm.
- Sunday, August 12: DC Jazz Jam three year anniversary celebration, 6:30 pm.
- Saturday, August 11: Jagged Edge + Jon B, 8 pm.
- Sunday, August 12: Sunday Gospel Brunch featuring the Harlem Gospel Choir, 1:30 pm.