From Alejandra Owens at One Bite At A Time
The weekly update from FreshFarm Markets tells us that figs will be making a strong showing at the market this weekend. These strange little fruits happen to be a childhood favorite (they remind me of my grandmother), but they’re a mysterious fruit that not many know about.
I love this post at The Kitchn on how to select and store figs. Main take aways? Make sure to use your figs within a couple days of purchasing themâ€”they go bad quickly. Choose soft, but not mushy figs with a stem that is firmly planted in the fruitâ€”wiggly wobbly stems mean mushy figs. Finally, store figs in the fridge but in a shallow bowl or on a plate so they don’t bruise!
Fall fruit is here, folks! Time to stop mourning tomato season and move on! Here’s some recipes to get you started:
- Brussel Sprouts, Bacon and Figs from Adventures in Shaw
- Fig Scones from Macheesmo
- Warm Fig, Mozzarella and Prosciutto Sandwich from The Kitchn
- Fig Pizza from Arugula Files
- Figs with Bleu Cheese and Honey from One Bite At A Time
And that’s just a few ideas! Do you have any figgy recipes to share?