The third annual 17th Street Festival is this weekend (Saturday, September 22), from noon until 6 pm. This year’s festival has something for everyone: from local art, to live entertainment, and even activities for kids and pets.
The free community event celebrates the 17thÂ Street corridor from Riggs Place to P Street NW. Here are some more details on what you can expect to see this Saturday.
17th Street Festival Entertainment
Local musicians will take the stage from noon until 6 pm, with DJ Sean Morris scheduled between sets.
- Keyvibe, 1 pm.
- Gay Men’s Chorus, 2 pm.
- Deb Felz Band, 2:30 pm.
- The Morrison Brother’s Band, 3:15 pm.
- Divas of Town, 4:15 pm.
- Joey Salinas, 4:45 pm.
- The North Country, 5 pm.
17th Street Festival Art
- The yearly Art Show covers two street blocks and features the work of over 50 local artists.Â The collection of exhibited art ranges from pottery to photography and even body paint.
- Can’t wait until Saturday? Catch aÂ sneak preview of the art this Friday, September 21 at Century 21 (17th and Q NW) with six artists, live music, and food from 6 to 9 pm.
17th Street Festival KID ZONE
- The KID ZONE will be located on R Street NW (between 17th and NewÂ Hampshire) and on the playground at Ross Elementary School (1730 R Street NW).
- The area will have free entertainmentÂ from Mr. Gabe, John Henry England and Imagination Stage, which will host interactive storytelling.Â Yoga, moon bounces, face painting, spin art, sack races and hula hoop competitions will also be available for the kids.
17th Street Festival PET ZONE
- Located on 17th Street NW (between R and S Streets NW), the PET ZONE will feature dog-friendly games, treats and the annual blessing of the animals.
- Adoptable dogs from City Dogs Rescue will be at the PET ZONE.
- The annual Walk-A-Dog-Athon will take place to supportÂ Charlieâ€™s Place, a homeless outreach program at Saint Margaretâ€™s Church that works to feed the homeless and place people in jobs and housing.
The festival is planned by theÂ Urban Neighborhood AllianceÂ (UNA), which brings businesses and residents together to develop innovative solutions to community challenges.Â Additional detailsÂ are available on the organizationâ€™sÂ website.