From Matty Rhoades
Crime in the U Street area in August was down 14% on a Year-Over-Year (YOY) basis, with 83 reported crimes compared to 97 in August 2010. Fewer property crimes, notably burglaries and thefts from autos, drove down the total. There were 58 property crimes in August 2011, a 21% drop from the 73 in August 2010. The number of violent crimes was essentially unchanged on a YOY basis — there were 25 violent crimes in August 2011 compared to 24 in August 2010.
The numbers are from Police Service Area (PSA) 305, which covers the bulk of the U Street area plus neighborhoods around Howard University. All numbers are from the MPD Crime Database. Full numbers are in the chart at the bottom of this story.
- Violent Crime. There were 20 robberies last month (three with guns) compared to 17 the previous August (five with guns). The number of assaults declined slightly from five in August 2010 (one with a gun) to four last month (none with guns).
- Gun Crimes. The good news is that gun crimes decreased; there were three last month compared to six in August 2010.
- Property Crime. There were declines in burglaries, thefts from autos and stolen autos on a YOY basis in August 2011. The number of thefts increased.
3-Year Trend: 2008 to 2011
What does the three-year trend, 2008-1011, for the month of August show for PSA 305?
- Violent crime is down slightly —there were 28 violent crimes in August 2008 compared to 25 in August 2011.
- Property crime is down 37%. There were 120 property crimes in August 2008 compared to 83 in August 2011.
|Crime in Police Service Area 305: August1-31|
|Crime Type||2008||2009||2010||2011||% Change 2010 to 2011||% Change 2008 to 2011|
|Sex Abuse||3||0||2||1||Down 50%||Down 67%|
|Robbery without Gun||10||7||12||17||Up 42%||Up 70%|
|Robbery with Gun||5||4||5||3||Down 40%||Down 40%|
|Assault with Dangerous Weapon (no gun)||9||7||4||4||No change||Down 55%|
|Assault with Dangerous Weapon (with gun)||1||1||1||0||Down 100%||Down 100%|
|Total Violent Crime||28||19||24||25||Up 4%
|Burglary||4||4||15||4||Down 73%||No change|
|Theft||21||20||22||28||Up 27%||Up 33%|
|Theft from Auto||54||42||29||20||Down 31%||Down 63%|
|Stolen Auto||13||3||7||6||Down 14%||Down 54%|
|Total Property Crime||92||69||73||58||Down 21%||Down 37%|
All numbers are from the MPD Crime Database.