Looking for something to do this¬†weekend? Well, look no further. We have your list of the food, music and cultural events going on in (and around) Borderstan September 14th, 15th and 16th.
Local Events, Exhibits and Nightlife
- Opening of doris-mae Art Gallery:¬†This weekend, doris-mae (1716 14th Street NW) will host its¬†inaugural exhibition featuring the work of four painters (Pat Goslee, Becca Kallem, Paul Pietsch and William Whitaker) and a video project by Will Copps. The opening reception will take place on Saturday, September 15 from 6 until 9 pm, and the show runs through October 14, 2012.
- H Street Festival: Yes, it’s a bit out of the way, but the annual street festival serves up plenty of food, art and live entertainment to make up for the journey. This year, the Festival celebrates H Street’s new Heritage Trail. The H Street Festival is Saturday, September 15 from noon until 6 pm on H Street NE.
- MOVA Weekends:¬†MOVA Lounge (2204 14th Street NW) has a series of events lined up for the weekend. Check out Fresh Fridays (with a special guest D.J. every week) and Scorching Saturdays on September 15 from 9 pm until 2 am.
- DC Jazz Jam: Sundays mean jazz days at¬†Dahlak (1771 U Street NW), and this Sunday features¬†Howie Jung (keys), Duff Davis (guitar), Phil Ravita (bass) and Anders Eliasson (drums). The show is from 6:30 until 9:0 pm.
- Lots of Local Music at Area Venues:¬†It’s a good weekend to see some of DC’s local bands at the city’s music hotspots. Junior League is at the Black Cat on Friday, September 14 at 9 pm and The Silent Critics are playing at the 9:30 Club on Saturday, September 15 at 7 pm (and I would be lying if I didn’t admit that I went to college with them). So here’s to local music! And Virginia liberal arts schools!
DC9¬†(1940 9th Street NW)
- Saturday, September 15: Peach Pit,¬†Resident DJ Matt Bailer¬†/¬†90′s dance party, 10:30 pm.
- Sunday, September 16: The Bottom Dollars, The Hollows, 8:30 pm.
Velvet Lounge¬†(915 U Street NW)
- Friday, September 14: Miau Miau, Think Fast Jak, In Your Memory, 9 pm.
- Saturday, September 15: Born Loose, Jake Starr and the Delicious Fullness, 9 pm.
9:30 Club¬†(815 V Street NW)
- Friday, September 14:¬†The Feelies, 8 pm.
- Saturday, September 15:¬†The Silent Critics, Aaron Crawford and the Badcards, Practically Einstein, 7 pm.
- Sunday, September 16: Bloc Party with Ceremony, 7 pm.
Black Cat¬†(1811 14th Street NW)
- Friday, September 14: Junior League Band, The Torches, Luray, 9 pm.
- Sunday, September 16: Heavy Times, Thee Lolitas, 8 pm.