Good morning, Borderstanians. Just four days to go until election day next Tuesday. D.C. city council races—particularly those two at-large seats—are getting plenty of coverage in the media and blogosphere. The presidential race is bringing us muchos television ads, thanks to Virginia’s status as a battleground state between McCain and Obama.
But, what about local races for Advisory Neighborhood Commissions (ANC)? (If you are unsure what ANCs do, click here.) Borderstan is split between three ANC districts, two in ANC 2B/Dupont Circle and one in ANC 2F/Logan Circle. None of the three incumbent commissioners representing Borderstan face opposition for the next two-year term. (Information at bottom of this posting on how to determine your ANC district and commissioner.)
Contested Race in ANC 2B-09
There is one neighboring ANC 2B district that is garnering a great deal of coverage—the ANC 2B-09 seat where incumbent Ramon Estrada is being challenged by Doug Rogers. Here are links to the two candidates’ Web sites and to some coverage of the race:
- Ramon Estrada’s Web site.
- Doug Roger’s Web site.
- Greater Greater Washington Blog: “Better Know a Single-Member District: 2B09.” (If you haven’t already figured it, GGW is one of my favorite local blogs that focuses on urban-metro-transportation-development issues.)
- Washington Blade coverage from October 24.
Borderstan ANC Districts and Commissioners
- Borderstan’s boundaries are from P to S Streets and from 14th to 16th Streets NW (the center of Borderstan is 15th and Corcoran Streets NW).
- ANC 2B-04: West Borderstan from the north side of Q Street to the south side of S Street is in District 04 and is represented by Jack Jacobson. He is running unopposed on November 4.
- ANC 2B-05: West Borderstan from the south side of Q Street heading south is represented by incumbent Victor Wexler who is running unopposed on November 4.
- ANC 2F-01: East Borderstan (east of 15th Street) is represented by incumbent Charles Reed, the commissioner for ANC 2F-01.
- Map of ANC 2B districts.
Finally… VOTE ON TUESDAY.