From Alejandra Owens at One Bite At A Time
You don’t need me to tell you that it’s feeling like fall in DC. But maybe you do need a little reminder that the comfort food of fall is back.
Pat over at FreshFarm Markets (that would be Dupont Farmers Market to you) reports there will be chestnuts (not roasting over an open fire), beets, comice pears, apples (I promise not to bombard you with 500 apple recipes), parsnips (very underrated veg IMO), purple kohlrabi (what’s that?) and brussel sprouts (mmm yay!) are all making an appearance this weekend.
Robin at 14th & U Farmers Market gave us an exclusive little preview of some really awesome new stuff making an appearance this weekend:
- For those with a sweet tooth there will be ginger gelatoÂ and Heirloom Apple Cider Sorbetto by Dolcezza and Tiny Carrot Cupcakes at Pecan Meadow made from their own carrots.
- Coq-au-vin Tortellini (I. Die.), Chestnut and Sausage Soup, and Butternut Squash Soup (that didn’t make it last week).
- Heirloom squash such as Pink Banana, Marina de Chioggia, and Galuex d’Eysines at Kuhn.
- Seckel pears and chestnuts now at McCleaf,Â watercress at Truck Patch, broccoli and cauliflower at Garner.
- You can pre-orderÂ Pecan Meadow’s whole Geese or Boneless Duck Breast.
While we’re talking about pre-ordering birds, check out Florida Girl in DC’s post on pre-ordering your Thanksgiving turkey. Yep. Some of us are already thinking about Thanksgiving.
Finally, here’s a few Fall recipes from your (every friendly) DC Food Bloggers to get you started.
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Loaf from State Dinner
- Pumpkin and Salted Caramel Macaronsfrom One Vanilla Bean (she’s kinda the macaron Queen)
- Apple Pie by Domenica Marchetti over at Mango & Tomato
- Honey Caramelized Brussel Sprouts from BLT Steak over at Florida Girl in DC
- Short Ribs Braised in Red Wine from The Carnivore and the Vegetarian (clearly this one was for the Carnivore)
- Caramel Apple Cider Cookies from One Bite At A Time (shameless plug)