Yes, the nation’s attention is on Mitt Romney and Barack Obama in this November’s election, but they are not the only ones working hard on the campaign trail. And no, I am not referring to Bill O’Riley and Jon Stewart’s efforts to unite/divide the country¬†‚ÄĒ¬†I am referring to the efforts made by our local community candidates running in this November’s Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) elections.
In the Borderstan area, there are 21 Single Member District (SMD) seats up for grabs on the November 6 ballot in three different local ANCs:¬†2B/Dupont,¬†2F/Logan¬†and¬†1B, which includes most of the U Street corridor.
Earlier this fall, we ran candidate profiles, concentrating on the six contested seats in the area. In the weeks before election day, we are running Q&A interviews with candidates on specific issues related to their ANCs. Here are the Q&As on the issues: Dan Wittels ANC 1B-12,¬†Walt Cain ANC 2F-02,¬†Kishan Putta, ANC 2B-04, Joel Heisey, 2F-04,¬†Martin Espinoza, 2B-04,¬†Matt Connolly, 2F-08,¬† Zahra Jilani, 1B-12, ¬†Stephanie Maltz, 2B-03,¬†John Green, 1B-12‘¬†Stephanie Sheridan, 2B-04; Bevan Mace, 2B-03; Erling Bailey, 1B-12; Adam Stempel, 2F-02; Howard Marks, 2F-08,¬†John Fanning, ANC 2F-04.
Here are the first round of profiles on local ANC Candidates:
Contested races are now confirmed for SMDs 2B-03 and 2B-04 in¬†ANC 2B,¬†while in the other seven SMDs, there is only one candidate.
- Mike Feldstein, 2B-01 – Incumbent, no ¬†opponents
- Kevin O‚ÄôConnor, 2B-02¬†– Incumbent, no ¬†opponents
- Bevan Mace, 2B-03
- Stephanie Maltz, 2B-03
- Martin Espinoza, 2B-04
- Stephanie Sheridan, 2B-04
- Kishan Putta, 2B-04
- Victor Wexler, 2B-05¬†– Incumbent, no ¬†opponent
- Mike Silverstein, 2B-06¬†– Incumbent, no opponent
- Leo Dwyer, 2B-07 – Sole candidate
- Will Stephens, 2B-08¬†– Incumbent, no opponent
- Noah Smith, 2B-09 – sole candidate
ANC 2F/Logan Circle
- Peter Lallas, 2F-01¬†– sole candidate
- Adam Stempel, 2F-02
- Walt Cain, 2F-02
- James Baker, 2F-02 – No profile was submitted by the candidate
- Chris Linn, 2F-03¬†– sole candidate
- John Fanning, 2F-04
- Joel Heisey, 2F-04
- James Lamare, 2F-05¬†– sole candidate
- Greg Melcher, 2F-06¬†– sole candidate
- Matt Raymond, 2F-07¬†–¬†Incumbent, no ¬†opponent
- Matthew Connolly, 2F-08
- Howard Marks, 2F-08
There is only one contested race in ANC 1B that falls within the boundaries of the Borderstan coverage area.¬†ANC 1B now has 12 SMDs¬†with four of them in the U Street corridor. SMD 02 added a huge number of people between 2000 and 2010 and was essentially split in two to form the new SMD 12.
- Marc Morgan, 1B-01 – sole candidate
- Jeremy Leffler, 1B-02¬†– sole candidate
- Deborah Thomas, 1B-04¬†–¬†Incumbent, no opponent
- John Carlos Green, 1B-12
- Zahra Jilani,¬†1B-12
- Dan Wittels,¬†1B-12
- Erling Bailey,¬†1B-12