From Cody Telep.Â Follow him on TwitterÂ @codywt, email him atÂ cody[AT]borderstan.com.
DC Police reported a gun robbery in the 1400 block of P Street NW just after 6:30 pm Monday evening. The suspect was described as a black male in his ’50s wearing a beige jacket. The block is home to Whole Foods and a number of other well-know businesses, including a large number of restaurants. The Logan Circle shopping and dining strip is normally crowded with pedestrians at this time of day.
The 1400 block of P Street NW has recently been the street block in Borderstan with the greatest number of serious crime incidents (First Six Months of 2012: Crime in Borderstan Up Slightly from 2011), although most of these incidents are theft cases. In the first six months of 2012, two of the 26 incidents on this block were robberies, but neither involved a gun.
Tonightâ€™s incident follows a series of robberies involving both knives and guns, as well as force and violence, in the Dupont-Logan-U Street area in the past two months.
From DC Police Reports: “Robbery Gun.Â UNIT 3071 CONFIRMED A Robbery in the 1400blk of P St. NW LOF a B/M, 50′s, Beige jkt. Â DO NOT TAKE ACTION CALL 911 W/EVENT #I20120619952.Â Sent on: 12/10 18:42.”
From the DC Police Twitter feed: “Robbery in the 1400 blk of P St. NW LOF a B/M, 50′s, Beige jkt. 6972.”
Recent Gun Robberies in the Area
It is not possible to compare robberies during the past two months to the same period of last year (seeÂ DC Police Crime Data Still Not Available Online). However, the following gun robberies have been reported in the area in the past two months.
- 6:30 PM Gun Robbery, 1900 Block of 11th Street NWÂ (December 4)
- Chief Lanier Shuts Down Indulj for 96 Hours Following Triple ShootingÂ (December 3)
- Update: Armed Carjacking on U Street NW Early Saturday MorningÂ (December 1)
- Pair of Tuesday-Night Gun Robberies on R Street NW, 1 Hour ApartÂ (November 27)
- Saturday Evening Gun Robbery, 1200 Block of U StreetÂ (November 3)
- Police Make Arrests in Recent Borderstan RobberiesÂ (November 1)
- Early Morning Gun Robbery, New Hampshire and V NWÂ (October 23)
- Gun Robbery Near Convention Center Around 7 PM ThursdayÂ (October 12)
Police Alerts, More Information
You can sign up for alerts throughÂ Alert DCÂ and get alerts Â byÂ e-mail,Â cell phone,Â pager orÂ wireless PDA. When signing up, you can select alerts on crime, transportation, utility outages/issues, government closings, breaking news, DC-sponsored events and Amber Alerts. You can follow the DC Police on TwitterÂ @DCPoliceDept.