This Wednesday, ANC 2C will vote to make a formal recommendation on what the city should do with Parcel 42, the vacant lot at the intersection of Rhode Island, 7th and R streets.Â The meeting will take place at 6:30 pm at the Watha T Daniel/Shaw Library (1630 7th Street NW).
Six bidders met the qualifications of the previously solicited Request for Expressions of Interest (RFEI). The proposed plans include the following:
- 105-unit residential building with retail
- 102-room hotel, 22 affordable units and 74-space underground parking
- 50-unit apartment building with community garden and 60 underground parking spaces
- 100-unit residential project with retail, community garden and live-work spaces
- 81-unit or a 99-unit project with a Yes! Organic Market
- 96-unit residential project with two levels of retail, rooftop garden and a public courtyard
Since the city owns the land, the ANC’s recommendation will be given great weight in awarding the development contract.
Currently, some members of the community have weighed in on the decision by sending a letter to Commissioners recommendingÂ the proposal submitted by Principian Ventures (Baywood Hotels and Dantes Partners), which would feature aÂ Marriott Towneplace Extended StayÂ hotel.
According to an email circulated by a resident, the group “believes a hotel would do more to sustain a thriving, safe and beautiful neighborhood than any other proposed use (apartments and, in some other proposals, more retail space).”