Borderstan has its long list of places to frequent for breakfast. This fall, we published a whole post on the best spots in the neighborhood to eat the most important meal of the day, and Borderstan’sÂ Jonathan Riethmaier is constantly feeding us new ideas on where to get our morning caffeine buzz.
But, if you’re in the mood for something sweet and a little out-of-the-way on your Thursday and Friday morning commute, then check-out a little pop-up action happening in Chinatown.
Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken will host a doughnut pop-up this Thursday and Friday (December 20 and 21) at theÂ Chinatown Coffee Co. (475 H Street NW). The pop-up will sell a variety of doughnuts, including different flavors on each of the days.
The following flavors will be sold on both days:
- Vanilla GlazedÂ â€” vanilla bean glaze ($2.25)
- Brooklyn BlackoutÂ â€” devilâ€™s food cake, chocolate glaze, cookie crumbs ($2.50)
- Maple BaconÂ â€” maple glaze, Bentonâ€™s bacon ($2.50)
- Peanut Butter & Jelly â€” strawberry jelly, peanut butter glaze ($2.85)
- CrĂ¨me BrĂ»lĂ©eÂ â€” vanilla custard, bruleed vanilla glaze ($2.85)
- Eggnog cake doughnut â€” nutmeg butter cake, vanilla custard and rum glaze ($2.50)
- Panettone doughnut â€” yeast raised fruitcake, rum glaze,Â and toasted almonds ($2.25)
On Thursday, patrons will be able to purchase the following flavors:
- Banana NutÂ â€” banana cake, mascarpone glaze, pecans ($2.50)
- Gingerbread â€” gingerbread dough, gingerbread glaze ($2.25)
- GrapefruitÂ â€” pink grapefruit glaze ($2.25)
- Black & WhiteÂ â€” chocolate dough, white ganache, vanilla glaze ($2.85)
- GianduiaÂ â€” chocolate dough, chocolate custard, hazelnut glaze ($2.85)
On Friday, patrons will be able to purchase the following flavors:
- Twink-nutÂ â€” golden vanilla cake, buttercream filling, vanilla glaze ($2.50)
- Chocolate Glazed â€” Valrhona chocolate glaze ($2.25)
- PecanÂ â€” butterscotch glaze, pecans ($2.25)
- MochaÂ â€” espresso dough, chocolate custard, espresso glaze ($2.85)
- Oatmeal raisinÂ â€” oatmeal dough, buttercream filling, granola crumbs ($2.85)
The Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken pop-up shop fromÂ Pastry Chef Jason Gehring will begin at 8 am and last until the doughnuts are sold out. Astor Doughnuts & Fried Chicken is scheduled to open in January 2013 in Metro Center.