Local Events, Exhibits and Nightlife
- Live music at 9th and Beats: Shaw’s newest music and preforming arts venue at 1219 9th Street NW will hold a variety show, “Who in the Whatnow?” Friday, December 14 at 8 pm. The group behind 9th and Beats will also celebrate the venue’s kick-off weekend with Hometown Sounds Saturday afternoon at 2 pm.
- Steak & Ice: If you’re heading over to H Street this weekend, make sure you pay a visit to Taylor Charles Steak & Ice (1320 H Street NE), the latest restaurant from the guys behind Taylor Gourmet. They’re still keeping their lips sealed about what they’re bringing to 14th and P – Will it be Borderstan’s very own Steak & Ice?
- Sunday Kind of Love: On Sunday, December 16, Alan King and Reuben Jackson take the stage for a powerful evening of poetry at Busboys and Poets (2021 14th Street NW) from 5 until 7 pm. Tickets are $5.
- Christmas music at Church of the Holy City: On Sunday, December 16, Church of the Holy City (1611 16th Street NW) will host a Christmas Concert at 3:30 pm, titled The Holy Advent — An integration of Seasonal Vocal and Instrumental Music and Paintings. The concert is free and open to the public.
- Two Borderstan boutiques host holiday parties: Ginger Root Design will host a festive get-together on Friday, December 14 from 6 pm to 9 pm with cocktails by Bourbon Outfitters, gluten-free snacks and a raffle. On Friday, December 14, Caramel will also throw a little celebration featuring local art, fashion and holiday cheer from 6 until 9 pm. Both events are free and open to the public.
- Opening weekend for An Irish Carol at the Keegan Theatre: An Irish Carol opens December 14 and runs through December 31 at the Keegan Theatre (1742 Church Street NW).
DC9 (1940 9th Street NW)
- Friday, December 14: Liberation Dance Party, 9 pm
- Saturday, December 15: Showpony, 6 pm; Peach Pit, 10:30 pm
Velvet Lounge (915 U Street NW)
- Friday, December 14: Price, Footwerk, Bonjour, Ganesh!, 8:30 pm
- Saturday, December 15: StereoSleep, The 27′s, Tom McBride, 9 pm
9:30 Club (815 V Street NW)
- Saturday, December 15: Scythian, Cutthroat Shamrock, Second String Band, 8 pm
- Sunday, December 16: Streetlight Manifesto, Lionize, 6 pm
Black Cat (1811 14th Street NW)
- Saturday, December 15: Black Taxi, The Attic Ends, 9 pm
- Friday, December 14: Jose Feliciano, 8 pm
- Sunday, December 16: Sunday Gospel Brunch with the Harlem Gospel Choir, 1:30 pm
- Friday, December 14: Anthology of Booty BACKDOOR, 10 pm
- Sunday, December 16: CARIOCA with Pablo R. De Oliveira and DJ PROVOKE, 8 pm