Local Events, Exhibits and Nightlife
- Live music at 9th and Beats: Shaw’s newest music and preforming arts venue at 1219 9th¬†Street NW¬†will hold a¬†variety show, ‚ÄúWho in the Whatnow?‚ÄĚ Friday, December 14 at 8 pm. The group behind 9th and Beats will also celebrate the venue’s kick-off weekend with Hometown Sounds Saturday afternoon at 2 pm.
- Steak & Ice: If you’re heading over to H Street this weekend, make sure you pay a visit to¬†Taylor Charles¬†Steak¬†&¬†Ice¬†(1320 H Street NE), the latest restaurant from the guys behind Taylor Gourmet. They’re still keeping their lips sealed about what they’re bringing to 14th and P – Will it be Borderstan’s very own Steak & Ice?
- Sunday Kind of Love: On Sunday, December 16,¬†Alan King¬†and¬†Reuben Jackson¬†take the stage for a powerful evening of poetry at Busboys and Poets (2021 14th Street NW) from 5 until 7 pm. Tickets are $5.
- Christmas music at Church of the Holy City:¬†On Sunday, December 16,¬†Church¬†of the Holy City (1611 16th Street NW) will host a Christmas Concert at 3:30 pm, titled¬†The Holy Advent¬†‚ÄĒ An integration of Seasonal Vocal and Instrumental Music and Paintings. The concert is free and open to the public.
- Two Borderstan boutiques host holiday parties:¬†Ginger Root Design will host¬†a festive get-together on Friday, December 14 from ¬†6 pm to 9 pm¬†with cocktails by Bourbon Outfitters, gluten-free snacks and a raffle.¬†On Friday, December 14,¬†Caramel¬†will also throw a little celebration featuring local art, fashion and holiday cheer from 6 until 9 pm. Both events are free and open to the public.
- Opening weekend for An Irish Carol at the Keegan Theatre:¬†An Irish Carol¬†opens December 14 and runs through December 31 at the Keegan Theatre (1742 Church Street NW).
DC9¬†(1940 9th Street NW)
- Friday, December 14: Liberation Dance Party, 9 pm
- Saturday, December 15: Showpony, 6 pm; Peach Pit, 10:30 pm
Velvet Lounge¬†(915 U Street NW)
- Friday, December 14: Price, Footwerk, Bonjour, Ganesh!, 8:30 pm
- Saturday, December 15: StereoSleep, The 27′s, Tom McBride, 9 pm
9:30 Club¬†(815 V Street NW)
- Saturday, December 15: Scythian, Cutthroat Shamrock, Second String Band, 8 pm
- Sunday, December 16: Streetlight Manifesto, Lionize, 6 pm
Black Cat¬†(1811 14th Street NW)
- Saturday, December 15: Black Taxi, The Attic Ends, 9 pm
- Friday, December 14: Jose Feliciano, 8 pm
- Sunday, December 16: Sunday Gospel Brunch with the Harlem Gospel Choir, 1:30 pm
- Friday, December 14:¬†Anthology of Booty BACKDOOR, 10 pm
- Sunday, December 16:¬†CARIOCA with Pablo R. De Oliveira¬†and DJ PROVOKE, 8 pm