From Alejandra Owens. You can find her at her food blog,Â One Bite At A Time. Alejandra also writes forÂ City Eats DC,Â a Food Network site, where you can book dinner reservations. Follow herÂ on Twitter atÂ @frijolitaÂ and email her atÂ alejandra[AT]borderstan.com.Â
Last year, the most awful thing happened to me. I was at the grocery store, just weeks after the local strawberry season had ended and I was lamenting the lack of those little red jewels in my life. I was sad. I missed them!
So I bought a pint of the little buggers from The Teet.
Wow, was that a mistake. They were watery, tasteless and mealy. I mean, I didnât really even understand what mealy felt like in my mouth until that moment. What the heck!? I had been eating grocery store strawberries my whole life (with the rare exception of cartons bought on the side of the road from Mexicans, who crossed the boarder to set up mini market stands â I grew up about 40 minutes from the U.S.âMexico border) and in that moment, I feltÂ screwed. Had they always tasted like that? Had I elevated myself to the next level of strawberry consciousness with my farmers market shopping ways?
Iâm hoping I just landed a bad batch, âcause as much as I try to shop local and seasonal, there are just moments, there are desserts, that call for strawberries when theyâre not in season in like, you know,Pennsylvania!!!
This weekâsÂ FreshFarm Marketsâ newsletter mentioned that they would have strawberries from Maryland, Virginia and Pennsylvania this Saturday and I got tres excited. We can throw a strawberry party now, just so weâre ready.
Here are some strawberry recipes to get you started:
- Todd ThrasherâsÂ Strawberry SmashÂ sounds tart and refreshing for you boozehounds.
- Not Derby Pie has an off-beat but delicious soundingÂ Strawberry Avocado SaladÂ (bonus: essential tip about using salad dressing included).
- Breakfast is calling and Adventures in Shaw hasÂ Strawberry SconesÂ for you to start the day.
- Yours truly brings youÂ Strawberry Rhubarb Meringue BarsÂ for aÂ luscious, coolÂ dessert.
- Pete Bakes likes to wrap hisÂ strawberries inâŚbacon. I think Iâm speechless.
- PopTarts,Â hand pies, whatever you wanna call them, Modern Domestic (aka Jenna ofÂ Whisked!) has âemfilled with strawberriesÂ for ya!
Whatâs on your market list for this weekend? Donât forget, if you have questions about the market, just tweet me!