From Matty Rhoades and Luis Gomez.
Yes, friends, Cinco de Mayo is tomorrow â€” and coincidentally the Kentucky Derby. But before we launch into our list of places with specials in the Borderstan area, please remember what you are celebrating (and drinking to) on Saturday.
First, it’s not Mexico’s Independence Day.Â The 5th of May commemorates the Mexican armyâ€™s unexpected victory over French forces in 1862 at theÂ Battle of Puebla.Â What, you ask, what were the French doing in Mexico? Read our preview story to find out (andÂ you may be surprised to learn how some Mexican-Americans view the holiday).
Now, on to the main attraction. Here are 13 spots in the Dupont-Logan-U Street area with Cinco de Mayo specials.
Cinco de Mayo Specials in Borderstan
- Alero,Â 1301 U Street NW. Drink specials, such as $3.50 Mexican beers and $5.50 margaritas, plus food, outdoor seating and a DJ. What could be better?
- Alero,Â 1724 Connecticut Avenue NW.Â An outdoor bar on the patio, DJs and like its sister restaurant on Connecticut, they will have will have margaritas, appetizers and Dos Equis beer for $5 (Dos Equis for $3 after 8 pm).
- Cobalt,Â 1639 R Street NW.Â It’s Latin Night (first Saturday of every month) and $4 Coronas.
- Commissary,Â 1443 P Street NW.Â Start brunch with Bar Deity Mario Alfaroâ€™s Bloody Mary, made with Commissaryâ€™s own jalapeno-infused tequila. The real party though begins at 4 pm, as Commissary rolls out the Happy Hour Specials. Select from the full menu of Margarita specials that include Fried Pulled Pork and Queso Freso Empanadas. Play the raffle game to win prizes, every hour on the hour (including an invitation for two to the May opening of The Pig.) Live entertainment features Latin Guitarist Ricardo Marlow, from 5 to 7:30pm. Reservations accepted.
- El Centro D.F.,Â 1819 14th Street NW. “Special party to celebrate 150 years of Cinco de Mayo. $35 Bottomless Brunch starting at 11am until 5:00pm. After 6:00 the celebration moves to the rooftop $20 cover with music, $4 Mexican Beer and $5 Margaritas.”
- JR’s Bar & Grill,Â 1519 17th Street NW.Â “$5 frozen margaritas, $5 Coronas $5 rail vodka highballs $4 Coors light.”
- Judy Restaurant,Â 2212 14th Street NW. $3 Coronas and Dos Equis for $2.50. And, Judy’s has a live band every Saturday night.
- La Frontera,Â 1633 17th Street NW.Â Tecate and Corona beer and tequila for $3 from 3 to 7 pm. Cantina taco specials for $8.95. Remember:Â You get a great view of 17th Street, outdoor seating, and prime party-hopping potential.
- Lauriol Plaza,Â 1835 18th Street NW. It’s been Cinco de Mayo all week long. On Saturday, “Expect crowds, drink specials, and mariachi bands at this always-packed Tex-Mex hot spot. Also they will have the Cinco de Mayo Party Bus â€”Â Mariachis included.
- MOVA, 2204 14th Street NW.“We have a full day of events. Latin Soul DC is holding a party and we open at 3 pm… all-day $5 tequila, beer and Finlandia vodka drink specials. Two liveÂ performances in the evening.”
- Nellie’s Sports Bar, 900 U Street NW. Nellie’s will offer $4 Coronas and $4 drink specials. In addition, their $15 beer buckets include Corona for Cinco de Mayo.
- Policy,Â 1904 14th Street NW. “Party time, from 1 to 8pm for “Cinco de Mayo Meets Kentucky Derby”! DC, Come in your favorite boat shoes and a Sombrero to receive $3 Mint Juleps or Margaritas! Not feeling so adventurous, $5 for you!”
- Tortilla Coast,Â 1460 P Street NW. The celebration here started on Wednesday: “Have your picture with a life size cut-out ofÂ The Most Interesting Man in the World, and enjoy Dos Equis Amber and Lager at happy hour prices. Friday is margarita mixing with Cointreau Noir night and Saturday join the fiesta as Tortilla Coast introduces Tanteo Jalapeno Margarita made with infused jalapeno tequila. agave syrup and fresh lime juice.”
Please enjoy responsibly, folks, and hereâ€™s to a not too painfulÂ Seis de Mayo.