From Kent Barnes. Follow him on Twitter @KentBarnes, email him at kent[AT]borderstan.com.
Youâ€™re a huge sports fan. More specifically, youâ€™re a huge DC sports fan. Youâ€™re ready to show the world just how passionate you are about your favorite local team. So what do you do?
You could buy a jersey, but whatever player you choose wonâ€™t be playing forever. You could buy season tickets and dress up for the game, but thatâ€™s expensive and you run the risk of looking like this guy.
If youâ€™re as hardcore about your team as you say you are, thereâ€™s only one choice. A tattoo. What follows is the good, the bad, and the truly ugly of DC sports tattoos.
- The Good â€“ When in doubt, stick with the Curly W. The Nats donâ€™t have a long storied history like many of the other baseball teams, but they do have a nice classic looking logo. Keep it clean and simple.
- The Bad â€“ Messing with the Curly W. The only way to ruin a nice logo is to add stuff to it. Especially when that stuff is a microphone and some poorly written text.
- The Ugly â€“ Teddy. Okay so this isnâ€™t actually a Nats tattoo, but it should serve as a warning to anyone who wants to immortalize our 26thÂ president on their skin. Weâ€™re all big Teddy fans when weâ€™re at the stadium, but if you want to celebrate Teddy stick with the t-shirt.
- The Good â€“ A tribute to a fallen player. You can never go wrong with a nice tribute to a life taken too soon (in this case Sean Taylor). Portraits can be tough, so you may want to stick with a jersey number.
- The Bad â€“ The Native American. If you havenâ€™t been living under a rock for the last six months, you probably know that there is a growing movement to get the Redskins to change their name. This is a particularly offensive example, but either way youâ€™re better off steering clear of anything that may be looked at as disrespectful.
- The Ugly â€“Too Much. Taken individually, none of these tattoos are THAT bad. But in this case, there is definitely too much of a (not so) good thing.
- The Good â€“ The logo. Like the Nationals, the Caps have a nice, clean, classic looking logo. If it ainâ€™t broke, donâ€™t fix it.
- The Bad â€“ The Goalie. Human figures are notoriously difficult to tattoo. Throw in a jersey, padding, a mask, and a stick, and thatâ€™s a lot to get right. Donâ€™t even try it.
- The Ugly â€“ Possibly Tattooâ€™ed by a 4th Grader. In addition to having way too much going on, the stars and numbers are pretty uneven. The idea is ok, but the execution just isnâ€™t there.
- The Ugly â€“ The Wizard. This was one of the only Wizards tattoos I could find, which leads me to believe that anyone else thinking about getting a Wizards tattoo saw this and thought better of it. Letâ€™s hold off on the Wizards ink for now.
Ready to get your DC sports tattoo? Head to one of these local shops:
- Fattyâ€™s Custom Tattooz â€“ 1333 Connecticut Avenue NW
- Tattoo Paradise â€“ 2444 18thÂ Street NW
- Jinx Proof â€“ 3285 M Street NW
- DC Ink â€“ 1350 U Street NW