If you appreciate the medium of photography as an art form, this is an event that looks like it will be a must-attend. The first annual FotoWeek DC started Monday, November 17. Even better, you don’t even have to leave Borderstan to visit some of the galleries that are participating in the event.
FotoWeek DC is a week-long event that includes gallery and museum exhibits, a closing FotoWeek DC Gala at National Geographic (tickets $85), exhibitions at embassies and publishing companies, the Tech Pavillion (with equipment exhibitors) and more. You can check out the complete list of events.
Here is FotoWeek DC’s description of the event:
The week of November 15-22, 2008 will mark the launch of FotoWeek DC, the first annual gathering of a diverse and wide-ranging photography community in the nation’s capital, including photographers, museums, universities and all those involved in the profession across the metro D.C. area, including Virginia and Maryland. Unique among American cities, Washington, D.C. is a nexus of artistic, business, political and public sector energy, in which photography plays an integral role. FotoWeek DC seeks to bring together all photographers and imaging professionals from every discipline to join with the public in celebration of the medium.
- Borderstan’s own Gallery plan b, 1530 14th Street, NW. Photographers include Kermit Berg, Christopher Dubia, Susan Engle, Jeff Gay, Charlie Gaynor, Juditha, Sook Young Lee, John Skwiot, Jim Vecchione and David Young.
- Adamson Gallery, 1515 14th Street NW. Exhibition: Lawrence Schiller.
- Curator’s Office, 1515 14th Street NW. Exhibition: “Vanitas”, Exhibition of Photography & Film; Artists: Nicholas & Sheila Pye.
- Hamiltonian Gallery, 1353 U Street NW. hibition: Jonathan B. French, Michael Dax Iacovone and Anne Chan. Panel Discussion led by Exhibiting Artists Jonathan B. French, Michael Dax Iacovone and Anne Chan.
- HEMPHILL, 1515 14th Street NW. Exhibitions: Hiroshi Sugimoto: Drive-in Theaters and Portraits; and Kendall Messick: The Projectionist.
- Irvine Contemporary, 1412 14th Street NW. Exhibition: New works by Kahn & Selesnick, Gina Brocker, Marla Rutherford and Kerry Skarbakka.
- Nevin Kelly Gallery, 1517 U Street NW. Exhibition: Temporary Constructions: New Photographs by Stirling Elmendorf and Mark Parascandola.
- Located in Borderstan, The Pink Line Project / Ten Miles Square, 1444 Church Street NW. Exhibit: “Fixation.”
- Project 4 Gallery, 1353 U Street NW. Exhibition: ThomasMüller.
- Smith Farm Center for Healing and the Arts; The Healing Arts Gallery, 1632 U Street NW. Exhibition: VISIONS OF PARADISE: Nine National Geographic Contemporary Masters (William Albert Allard, Jodi Cobb, David Doubilet, Beverly Joubert, Michael Nichols, Paul Nicklen, Randy Olson, Joel Sartore and Mike Yamashita).
- Transformer, 1404 P Street NW.