Borderstanians: Following is detailed info on the five robberies that occurred in neighborhoods around Rock Creek Park on Monday evening. This information is from Acting Commander Matt Klein of the MPD Second District. None of the holdups were in Dupont Circle or Logan Circle; all were west or northwest of us.
I am alerting the community about a series of five robberies in the 2nd District that occurred within a 90-minute period on Monday, December 22, 2008. All of the robberies occurred between 7:50 pm and 9:15 pm. The preliminary information indicates that the robberies were likely committed by the same suspects.
Info on Five Robberies
- The first robbery occurred at 7:50 pm in the 3300 Block of O Street NW. In this robbery, three suspects approached the victim on foot, grabbed his arms, and demanded his wallet and cell phone.
- The second robbery occurred at 8:00 pm in the 4100 Block of Calvert Street, NW. This robbery also involved three suspects who ran up to the victim from behind and demanded money while threatening him. One of the suspects placed his hand inside his jacket as if he had a weapon. They stole a wallet, credit cards, and a scarf.
- The third robbery occurred at 8:25 pm in the 4200 Block of Alton Place, NW. Three suspects approached the victim from behind on foot, and demanded money while threatening them. They stole a wallet, credit cards, and a jacket and sweatshirt.
- The fourth robbery occurred at 9:00 pm in the 2500 Block Porter Street, NW. In this robbery only two suspects were mentioned but the actions of the suspects were similar to the earlier robberies. The victim was walking his dog when the suspects approached him from behind. One of the suspects lifted his jacket to display a dark handgun and demanded money while threatening him. They took his cellular phone and coat.
- The fifth robbery occurred at 9:15 pm in the 2800 Block of Quebec Street, NW. Only two suspects were mentioned, but the actions of the suspects were similar to earlier robberies. The two suspects exited a car as the victim was walking. One suspect placed his hand in his waistband as if he had a weapon and demanded the victim’s belongings while threatening her. The suspects took her purse.General Description of SuspectsA general description of the suspects based on interviews is as follows:
- Suspect #1: Black male, dark complexion, late 20s, thin, 6’0″ or taller, wearing a stocking cap and a puffy black windbreaker. Possibly had a mustache or goatee, and may have had twist-style/dreadlock hair. Jacket may have had a red pattern.
- Suspect #2: Black male, light complexion, early 20’s, thin, 5’6″, possible gray jacket. Clean shaven.
- Suspect #3: Black male, 20’s. tall, possibly wearing a blue North Face fleece jacket.
- Car: The suspects may have been driving a dark Honda Accord or Toyota, possibly with DC tags.I have coordinated with police in 2D as well as other units, and implemented an action plan in response to these robberies and to prevent future ones. The plan incorporates several activities that involve a combination of focused patrol, traffic enforcement, covering escape routes, and of course follow-up investigation by our detectives.Please be vigilant during this holiday period and I will continue to keep everyone posted.