From the MPD Newsroom: 30th Annual Memorial Service for Officers Killed in the Line of Duty.
- Who: The Fraternal Order of Police DC Lodge #1 Auxiliary.
- What: 30th Annual Memorial Service in honor of Washington Metropolitan area law enforcement officers who have died in the line of duty.
- When: Monday, May 11, 2009 at 11 a.m.
- Where: Front of the Henry J. Daly Building, Washington Area Law Enforcement Memorial Fountain, 300 Indiana Avenue NW. (In the event of inclement weather, the service will be held at 441 4th Street, NW.)
- Contact: Sergeant Arthur Butts at (202) 727-4218.
This is to advise the media that Chief of Police Cathy L. Lanier and the Metropolitan Police Department will host the 30th Annual Memorial Service in honor of Washington Metropolitan area law enforcement officers who have died in the line of duty. The Fraternal Order of Police DC Lodge #1 Auxiliary sponsors this annual event. This year, we will honor six officers and two civilians who made the ultimate sacrifice. Leonard “Bud” Doggett, founder of HEROES, Inc, will be among those honored.
Members of the news media are invited to attend.
Motorists are advised that starting at 6:00 am on the day of this event, Indiana Avenue, NW, between 4th and 5th Streets, as well as D Street between 3rd and 4th Streets will be closed to both public and police parking to allow for street cleaning prior to the service. Only vehicles participating in the ceremony will be allowed to park in these areas.