Update: This comment was left here… it has details on who to contact if you think have seen Molly. In addition, comments have posted to the Craigslist ad (link below). Molly may have been sighted yesterday in Borderstan around 15th & Q NW. Please click on the link and read! (more…)
Both CultureCapital.com and TICKETPLACE.org are projects of the Cultural Alliance of Greater Washington.
Last week we asked Borderstan.com readers to choose the biggest issue facing Washington, DC. A total of 200 readers voted and “crime” was the choice of nearly one-half (49.5%) followed by “public schools” at 22%. “High Housing Costs” and “High Tax Rates” finished a distant third and fourth, respectively. Next came “Development-Related Issues” at 4.5% followed by “Local Economy/Unemployment” and “Transportation/Metro/Parking,” each with 3%.
Here is how 200 respondents answered, “What is DC’s Biggest Issue?” in this extremely unreliable, unrepresentative and unscientific survey:
- Crime: 49.5% (99 votes)
- Public Schools: 22.0% (44 votes)
- High Housing Costs: 8.5% (17 votes)
- High Tax Rates: 6.5% (13 votes)
- Development-Related Issues: 4.5% (9 votes)
- Local Economy/Unemployment: 3.0% (6 votes)
- Transportation/Metro/Parking: 3.0% (6 votes)
- Other: 3.0% (6 votes)
Some of the comments we received: (more…)
Attention Borderstan cyclists:
MPD has in the Property Division close to 19 bikes that have been recovered in the district. Four were recovered yesterday in the Second District. If your bike was stolen, and you can properly identify it with either a receipt from a sale, or a picture with details along with your crime report, please contact Detective Sgt. John Rucker at the following email address: [email protected].
Crime Prevention Tips for Theft of Bicycles (more…)
Tidbits-o-stuff related to Borderstan.
- 15th Street: No Parking during the day, June 29-July 2. The city is getting ready to do “tree work” along 15th Street NW, according to signs posted this week on certain blocks in the Borderstan portion of 15th Street NW (east and west sides of street). The no-parking rule is in effect from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. starting this Monday, June 29, and running through Thursday, July 2. (more…)
Here are recent crimes of note in Police Service Areas (PSAs) 208 and 307 from the past week. Crimes of note are stolen autos, burglaries and violent crimes such as robbries and assaults. West Borderstan (west of 15th NW) is part of PSA 208 while East Borderstan (east of 15th NW) is part of PSA 307. In general, PSA 208 covers the Dupont Circle neighborhood while PSA 307 covers Logan Circle and a bit of Shaw. (more…)
The Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2F/Logan Circle meets Wednesday night, July 1 at 7 p.m. at the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW. One item of note on the agenda of interest to some Borderstanians is “1400 Block of R Street, NW: Street/Sidewalk cleanliness.” The item is under “Community Development Committee Report (Michael Benardo, Chair) – 8:25 p.m.”
- Who: Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) 2F
- What: Regular Monthly Meeting
- When: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 at 7 p.m.
- Where: Washington Plaza Hotel at 10 Thomas Circle NW
Yes, I grew this myself. It’s some type of giant dahlia. When I planted the bulbs this spring I thought I was planting the smaller, regular-sized ones. These have grown around 3-feet tall and I have to use stakes to keep them from tipping over. Check them out on the north side of the 1500-block of Corcoran NW.
Saw this on the MPD’s Facebook page… the MPD started an All Hands on Deck (AHOD) weekend this morning (Friday) at 6 a.m.; it concludes at 6 a.m. on Sunday morning.
Mayor Adrian M. Fenty and Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier announced today the start of All Hands on Deck (AHOD) Phase III. AHOD began at 6 am today and concludes at 6 am on June 28.
All available officers will be on duty and on patrol throughout the city. More officers will be walking foot beats in area neighborhoods to better engage residents and encourage information sharing about the services Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) provides, and to hear from residents about what is happening in their communities. (more…)
From Alert DC:
- A robbery hold up with a knife at 4:49 p.m. at Vermont and T NW. “Robbery Hold Up Knife @ 1649 hours, Vermont Ave & T St NW LOF B/M, with a bush, thin build, 6’2”, wearing timberland boots, tan/cream/red striped shirt. DO NOT TAKE ACTION CALL 911 W/EVENT #I20090340837.
- A robbery with a gun at 3:50 p.m. at S and 8th NW. “Robbery Hold Up Gun @ 1550 hours 1800 block of 8th St NW LOF 2 B/M, slim build, 16-19 Y/O and no clothing description given. L/S in the block. DO NOT TAKE ACTION CALL 911 W/EVENT #I20090340708.”
Yep, summer is here and so are street robberies. Be careful out there: Police Safety Tips for Crime Prevention, Avoidance.
New Pizza Place, American Restaurant For 14th Street; New Wine Bar Headed to U Street. “My, aren’t Logan and U Street busy these days? We’ve received a number of requests recently regarding the status of some of the new bars/restaurants that are looking to set up shop in the area.”