I ran them with comparisons to the period in 2007 and 2008. The detailed stats are in the following table. A quick look at PSA 208 crime stats shows:
- Total crime is up almost 4% from 2008 and is up 10% from 2007. The increases are being driven by more property crimes in the Dupont Circle area. A line by line analysis shows a mixed bag; some good things and some bad things.
- Property crimes have increased almost 6% over last year, and 13% over 2007 in PSA 208.
- The number of thefts in PSA 208 has jumped 14% this year to 963 for the Jan. 1-Dec. 3 reporting period. This compares to 843 in 2008 and 893 in 2007.
- Thefts from autos (“smash and grabs”) increased from 709 in 2008 to 722 in 2009; this compares to 506 in the same period of 2007. This is a 40% increase in two years.
- Violent crime is down 9% in 2009 compared to the same period in 2008, and is down 11% compared to the Jan. 1-Dec. 3 period of 2007.
- Robberies (with and without a gun) are down from 177 in 2008 to 167; this compares to 175 for the Jan. 1-Dec. 3 period of 2007. This is a 6% decrease from 2009 to 2008. But, the number of robberies with a gun is up this year over 2008–to 38 from 33.
- Total gun crimes, which are robberies and assaults committed with a gun, are up slightly to 40 this year compared to 38 during the same period in 2008. However, this number is substantially lower than the 53 gun crimes for the Jan. 1-Dec. 3 period of 2007 in PSA 208.
Year-to-Date PSA 208 Crime Statistics
|Robbery Excluding Gun||124||144||129|
|Robbery With Gun||51||33||38|
|Assault with a Dangerous Weapon (ADW) Excluding Gun||75||67||58|
|Assault with a Dangerous Weapon (ADW) With Gun||2||4||2|
|Total Violent Crime||262||256||232|
|Theft From Auto||506||709||722|
|Total Property Crime||1,723||1,841||1,949|
Source: MPD Crime Database