Crimes of Note: 6 Gun Crimes; Possible Link in 3 Robberies
There were six gun crimes in the previous week in the Borderstan area: five were robberies with a gun and one assault with a gun (two of the gun crimes were reported on Saturday). The most recent one occurred last night around 11 p.m. on the 1800 block of T Street NW.
Police believe that the suspect in last night’s robbery may be responsible for two additional robberies in the past week. The suspect has been described victims as a white male with a beard and approximately 5’7″ to 5’8″ tall; more details are below the fold.**
As for additional trends, two of the robberies and the assault were on or near Corcoran Street NW between 1300 and 1500. One robbery was in an alley near R and 16th Streets–R is one street north of Corcoran. In addition, the number 13 was truly unlucky in the past week. Check out the number of crimes in the list below that occurred on or near 13th Street or in the 1300 block of a given street, including Q, Corcoran and U Streets NW: four robberies, three assaults and one stolen auto.
Regarding the coming of warm weather and more street crime, please repeat after me: I will not talk on my cell phone or listen to my iPod on a quiet residential street after dark… totally unaware of my surroundings… and setting myself up as an easy target for muggers.
Following are the crimes of note for the past week–robberies, assaults, burglaries and stolen autos–that occurred March 20-27 in the Dupont – Logan – U Street area. The area is covered primarily by Police Service Areas (PSAs) 208 and 307 with a small slice of the Borderstan area in PSA 305.
- Wednesday, March 24, 2 a.m., Robbery, 1600 block of P Street NW-Sidewalk.
- Thursday, March 25, 10:14 p.m., Robbery with Gun, 1300 block of Corcoran Street NW-Alley.
- Thursday, March 25, 11:21 p.m., Robbery with Gun, 1300 block of Corcoran Street NW: “White male, 5’7”, 35-years-old, green or grey jacket with light blue jeans.”**
- Friday, March 26, 8:30 p.m., Robbery, 1900 block of 16th Street NW-convenience store.
- Friday, March 26, 8:40 p.m., Robbery with Gun, 1400 U Street NW. According to DC police, “Male suspect entered a restaurant in the block and demanded money… apparently pointed a silver handgun, obtained money and fled. Suspect was a black male wearing dark jeans, black jacket with gray sleeves and black tennis shoes.”
- Saturday, March 27, 12:50 a.m., Robbery, 13th and U Streets NW-tavern/nightclub.
- Saturday, March 27, 1:30 a.m., Robbery with Gun, R and 16th Streets NW: “On Saturday, March 27, 2010, at 1:45 a.m., a Robbery/While Armed (Gun) offense occurred in the 1500 block of R St., N.W. (PSA 208) and was subsequently reported to the MPD. The victim reported that while walking in the alley he was approached from the rear by a subject who struck him on the back of the head. The victim fell to the ground after which time the suspect pointed a gun at him and demanded his wallet and jewelry. The victim complied and the suspect fled the area eastbound in the alley.” The suspect in the crime is a white male.**
- Saturday, March 27, 3:15 a.m., Robbery with Force & Violence, 1700 block of 18th Street NW, 3 males, 22 to 26 years of age: “The victims reported that while walking in the area they were approached from the rear by three suspects. Two suspects struck the first victim on his face, causing him to fall to the ground. They continued to strike the victim while going through his pockets and removed U.S. currency and credit cards. The second victim was pushed to the ground by the third suspect and who then took his money. All three suspects then fled north on 18th St. N.W. The victim, who was beaten, was transported to the hospital for evaluation.”
- Saturday, March 27, 9:22 p.m., Robbery with Force & Violence, R Street and Rhode Island Avenue NW, 2 males, 20 to 25 years of age.
- Sunday, March 28, 6 a.m., Robbery, 1300 block of Q Street NW.
- Monday, March 29, 11:04 p.m., Robbery with Gun, 1800 block of T Street NW: “White male, 5’8”, beard, wearing dark clothing.”**
Assault with a Deadly Weapon
- Saturday, March 20, 3:02 a.m., Assault with a Deadly Weapon, 1300 block of U Street NW-Sidewalk.
- Thursday, March 25, 3:48 a.m., Assault with a Deadly Weapon-Gun, 1500 block of Corcoran Street NW-Alley.
- Friday, March 26, 10 a.m., Assault with a Deadly Weapon, 13th and W Streets NW-residence.
- Saturday, March 27, 2 a.m., Assault with a Deadly Weapon, 1300 block of U Street NW-tavern/nightclub.
- Wednesday, March 24, 6:30 a.m., Sexual Assault, 1500 block of Massachusetts Avenue NW-Sidewalk.
- March 20-22, Burglary, 1700 block of N Street NW-Residence.
- Tuesday, March 23, 3:15 p.m., Burglary, 1800 block of 9th Street NW-Residence.
- Saturday, March 20, Stolen Auto, 1800 block of 10th Street NW.
- Thursday, March 25, Stolen Auto, 1700 block of Q Street NW.
- Sunday, March 28, 6 a.m., Stolen Auto, 1300 block of Q Street NW.