There were 10 reported robberies and two assaults between March 27 and April 6 in the Borderstan area, only one of them committed with a gun. Perhaps the most disturbing crime of the week, an assault, occurred last evening (Tuesday) around 8 p.m. on the 1400 block of Q Street: Even though there were multiple witnesses in the vicinity, three men attacked a pedestrian, according to an eyewitness. Details are below the fold.
Also… the description of the suspect in the Friday robbery in the 1500 block of Massachusetts is similar to the suspect in three robberies that werereported last week: “Look out for white male, 5’9″ 160 lbs. wearing a white button up shirt and light blue jeans.” Last week, there was a similar suspect described by victims as a “white male with a beard and approximately 5′7″ to 5′8″ tall.” Police sources said last week they believed it may have been the same man fitting that description who was responsible for several robberies in the area.
As for additional trends, three of the robberies occurred in the early morning hours on two busy commercial strips, around the time patrons would be leaving clubs and bars. Two occurred near the 17th Street corridor, one at 17th and Church NW and the other at 17th and Q NW. The third was on the 14th Street corridor at 14th and P NW. Finally, three of the robberies were on Q Street NW, between 12th and 17th Streets; and two robberies were on Connecticut Avenue NW.
Following are the crimes of note for the past week–robberies, assaults, burglaries and stolen autos–that occurred in the Dupont – Logan – U Street area. The area is covered primarily by Police Service Areas (PSAs) 208 and 307 with a small slice of the Borderstan area in PSA 305.
- Monday, March 29, 1 a.m., Robbery, 1200 block of 11th Street NW-Restaurant.
- Monday, March 29, 10:55 p.m., Robbery, 1800 block of 19th Street NW.
- Thursday, April 1, 7:04 p.m., Robbery – Pickpocket, 1100 block of Vermont Avenue NW.
- Friday, April 2, 3:18 a.m., Robbery with Fear, 1500 block of Massachusetts Avenue NW: “Look out for white male, 5’9″ 160 lbs. wearing a white button up shirt and light blue jeans.”
- Friday, April 2, Robbery with Fear, 1200 block of Connecticut Avenue NW.
- Saturday, April 3, 3 a.m., Robbery, 14thand P Streets NW.
- Saturday, April 3, 4:35 a.m., Robbery, 1600 block of Vermont Avenue NW.
- Monday, April 5, 2 a.m., Robbery, 1700 block of Q Street NW.
- Monday, April 5, 2:19 a.m., Robbery with Gun, 17th and Church Streets NW.
- Monday, April 5, 4:30 a.m., Robbery, 12th and Q Streets NW.
Assault with a Deadly Weapon
- Saturday, March 27, 2:30 a.m., Assault with a Deadly Weapon, 10th and U Street NW-Tavern/Nightclub.
- Tuesday, April 6, 7:50 p.m., Assault, 1400 block of Q Street NW. According to an eyewitness, three young African-American males mugged a man walking on the south side of Q Street. One of the suspects chased, caught and punched the victim after he he attempted to flee, according to the source who witnessed the attack. There were other witnesses on the block at the time of the mugging, including the driver of a car who pursued one of the suspects after they fled. Police arrived on the scene, but no further details are available as of now.
- Monday, March 29, 9:50 a.m., Burglary, 1400 block of R Street NW-Public Housing Project.
- Tuesday, March 30, 9 a.m. to 5:55 p.m., Burglary, 1600 block of Riggs Place NW.
- Tuesday, March 30, midnight to 6:15 p.m., Burglary, 1700 block of P Street NW.
- Tuesday, March 30, Stolen Auto, 1800 block of 17th Street NW.
- Wednesday, March 31, 2 to 8 p.m., Stolen Auto, 19th Street and Dupont Circle NW.