The World Cup starts today in South Africa with two matches, but tomorrow is the beginning of Soccer in the Circle. The Dupont Festival-Soccer in the Circle will have two large screens in Dupont Circle to show Saturday’s three matches:
- Greece vs. South Korea, 7:30 am kickoff
- Argentina vs. Nigeria, 10 am kickoff
- England vs. USA, 2:30 pm kickoff
According to the organizers of Soccer in the Circle, an entertainment program starts at 1:30 pm in the center of the park, featuring:
- An award-winning “Diski Dance” by Team America Football Club (TAFC) 97 Fusion, an under-12 girls’ soccer team from Northern Virginia.
- A special performance of a new World Cup song by a DC-based reggae/dub artist.
- An appearance by legendary US Men’s National Soccer Team defender Eddie Pope.
Flickr, Facebook, Twitter
On the Web, the SITC team has an official Flickr group for uploading photos and videos of our event. SITC has a Facebook Page as well. For other social networking sites, including Twitter, the group is using the tag SITCDC (Soccer in the Circle DC).
World Cup at Dupont Bars and Restaurants
SITC has provided a map of bars and restaurants in the Dupont area that support SITC and have their own screens for the World Cup on June 12.
What is Dupont Festival?
The purpose of Dupont Festival is to organize and implement a wide range of outdoor and indoor activities in the greater Dupont Circle area throughout the year. SITC says that they hope to “screen the World Cup final on July 11 and stage other events in the Circle during the year,” but still need help with funds. The Festival will have a table in the park for donations by cash and check. Donations can also be made via the group’s PayPal site. Dupont Festival is a project of Historic Dupont Circle Main Streets, a non-profit group with 501(c)(3) status.