Sunday Volunteers Needed to Finish “Road Tattoo”
Saturday Evening Update: More volunteers are needed on Sunday, July 25, to finish the “Road Tattoo” public art project that is being installed on the 800 block of Vermont Avenue NW (just north of The White House by the McPherson Square Metro stop). The project is the child of artist Steed Taylor and he is working with 14th Street’s gallery plan b and volunteers to install it. Please arrive at 7 am.
About 20 volunteers helped with the Road Tattoo project today, but the extreme heat limited the number of working hours. As a result, they need to do a big final push on Sunday in order to complete the project. The District Department of Transportation approved the project and are on site as well. The organizers have tents and water on site.
The original post about the project, with more details, is below. Taylor’s exhibit at gallery plan b runs through Sunday. You can email Taylor at [email protected]
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Be part of local art history by helping install a unique piece of public artwork next weekend. Gallery plan b is looking for volunteers for July 24 and 25 to help install public artwork by artist Steed Taylor. The unique road tattoo will be installed on the 800 block of Vermont Avenue NW, just north of the White House. It will honor DC-area soldiers who have died in recent wars by incorporating their children’s names in the artwork.
Taylor’s work is currently on display at gallery plan b, 1530 14th Street NW, through Sunday, July 25 (“Portrait of a Road Tattoo” at gallery plan b).
If you’re interested in taking a hands on approach to learning how public art is made and want to help with the installation of Taylor’s Vermont Avenue road tattoo, here is the information from the gallery.
- When: Saturday, July 24, and/or Sunday, July 25; 7 am to 6 pm on both days.
- Where: 800 block of Vermont Avenue NW, between H and I Streets. The McPherson Metro stop (Vermont Avenue Exit) is at the installation site and parking is nearby.
- What: A commitment to 2 or more hours.
- Details: Wear old clothes because you’ll be painting. Use lots of sun block and sun protection; it’s summer in DC! Water and snacks are provided.
- How to Volunteer: Email gallery plan b and provide them with a phone number so they can schedule your time. Let them know when you would like to help–Saturday or Sunday, or both… morning or afternoon. For more information, contact gallery plan b at [email protected] or 202-234-2711; or Steed Taylor at [email protected]