Jaywalking doesn’t measure up to armed robbery or stealing a car. But, DC Police were issuing tickets on Monday around 3 pm at the intersection of 14th and R Streets NW to pedestrians who were crossing the street while “Don’t Walk” signs were flashing.
A Borderstan reader sent us an email on Monday afternoon: “I just wanted to let you know that the police are stationed at 14&R issuing jaywalking tickets. I received one. At one point, they were issuing tickets to a whole group of people. There were three police officers standing there. All of the things going on in Logan Circle and the police are focused on this.”
Regarding more serious matters, there were eight robberies, three assualts, three stolen autos and four burglaries reported in the past week. Three of the robbries and two of the assaults with guns; one robbery involved a knife.
One of the assaults was particularly bad. Full details are below, but a man was beaten up but five suspects early on the morning of Saturday, July 24, on the 1400 block of Swann Street NW. He had to be taken to the hospital for treatment.
- Thursday, July 22, 5 pm, Massachusetts Avenue and Thomas Circle NW-Pocketbook Snatch.
- Friday, July 23, 8:30 am, 1400 block of 15th Street NW (Alley)-Assault with Intent to Rob.
- Friday, July 23, 8:41 am, 14th and P Streets NW-with Knife.
- Friday, July 23, 11:50 pm, 1000 block of N Street NW-with Gun.
- Saturday, July 24, 12:34 am, 1300 block of U Street NW-with Gun.
- Sunday, July 25, 4:25 am, 11th and O Streets NW-with Gun.
- Monday, July 26, 12:52 pm, 1800 block of S Street NW-Pocketbook Snatch.
- Monday, July 26, 10:25 pm, 900 block of Westminster NW-Force & Violence.
Assault with a Deadly Weapon
- Saturday, July 24, 3:45 am, 1400 block of Swann Street NW: ” A Felony Assault offense occurred in the 1400 block of Swann St., N.W. (PSA 208) and was subsequently reported to the MPD. The victim reported that while walking in the area he was struck on the back of the head by a suspect. A witness approached and observed the suspect along with four other suspects kicking the victim about the head and body. All suspects then fled the scene. The victim suffered lacerations and contusions to the head and was ultimately transported to the hospital by DC/EMS. The suspects are described as #1-Hispanic/Male, 21-24 YOA, 5’2″-5’4″, 130-150 lbs. with black hair and a slender build. He was wearing a white shirt and black pants; #2-Hispanic/Female, with a medium complexion and build and black shoulder length hair. She was wearing a brown shirt; and #3 through#5-Unknown.”
- Saturday, July 24, 3:50 am, 1300 block of Florida Avenue NW-Gun.
- Saturday, July 24, 7:44 pm, 1800 block of 13th Street NW-with Gun.
- Saturday, July 24, 18th and S Streets NW.
- Wednesday, July 28, 1400 block of 16th Street NW.
- Wednesday, July 28, 14th and Rhode Island NW.
- Thursday, July 21, After 8 am, 1400 block of R Street NW.
- Friday, July 22, 1300 block of Vermont Avenue NW.
- Saturday, July 24, 6:55 am, 1800 block of 9th Street NW-Residence.
- Sunday, July 25, After 7:08 pm, 1100 block of U Street NW-Specialty Store.