Danny Shapiro is an avid music lover who has the good fortune to live very close the music scene on the 14th and U corridor. A list of his previous reviews is at the bottom of this column.
Concertgoers! The end of the week is upon us, which means we have three nights of work-free obligation to patronize the local live music scene. And, with no exception, this weekend’s neighborhood offerings are second to none, satiating all of your indie music hearts to the fullest.
Here are my quick picks for this weekend, Nov. 5-7.
Tonight: Friday, Nov. 5
Scouse Rockers in the District (The Anti-‘Fab Four’): Clinic @ Rock & Roll Hotel
For rock lovers looking to discover artists who dare to step outside the boundaries of four-chord progressions and sappy love songs, check out this Liverpool, England-based alternative/experimental indie band. An eclectic and enticing sound, Clinic is a mix of soft yet impassioned vocals from frontman Ade Blackburn, lush instrumentation that layers thumping electric guitar lines, keyboard, and offbeat drum arrangements.
Head out to H Street NE and make their trip across the pond worthwhile! Check them out on MySpace to hear more.
Saturday, Nov. 6
Indie Pop’s Reigning Darlings: Freelance Whales @ Black Cat
Treat yourself to a Saturday night of pure pop joy and check out this show. Strumming banjos and rhythm guitars, lush melodies to lure you into Judah Dadone’s sweet & somber lyrics, and a full cadre of backing instrumentation to cap it all (harmonium, synthesizers, glockenspiel, mandolin, percussion et al), this band is the 2010 version of the 2003 Ben Gibbard/Jenny Lewis breakthrough pairing ‘Postal Service.’
Not to be missed for the true indie lovers out there. Visit their MySpace page here for further proof.
Sunday, Nov. 7
Toe-Tapping Folk, with a Side of Broken Heart – Matt Costa @ Black Cat
Matt Costa has built his following through touring alongside fellow guitar strumming crooners Jack Johnson, Modest Mouse, Oasis, Ryan Adams & The Cardinals, G. Love and Special Sauce, and Death Cab For Cutie. However, the time is ripe for this Huntington Beach-based to grace the marquis.
Staying to the tried-and-true singer-songwriter accoutrements piano/guitar/harmonica, the breezy and instantly lovable music will give us – if just for one night – a true Indian summer escape from the 14th Street dreary weather to the sunny beaches of Cali. A full array of tunage is available on the MySpace.
On The Lookout
Upcoming Shows for the Borderstan Area
Check out my picks for the best in live gigs for the remainder of 2010:
- Tuesday, Nov. 9 @ 9:30 Club: Jonsi (of Sigur Ros) ($35)
- Monday, Nov. 15 @ Black Cat: Glasser ($10/$12)
- Monday, Nov. 15 @ 9:30 Club: Kate Nash ($20)
- Tuesday, Nov. 16 @ Black Cat: Tame Impala ($15)
- Tuesday, Nov. 16 @ Rock & Roll Hotel: Jenny Owens Youngs ($10/$12)
- Thursday, Nov. 18 @ 9:30 Club: Wiz Khalifa, Big K.R.I.T. (Early show + late show!) ($20)
- Sunday, Nov. 21 @ 9:30 Club: The Frames ($25)
- Tuesday, Nov. 23 @ Black Cat (JUNIP – Jose Gonzalez, Elias Araya, Tobias Winterkorn) ($15)
- Wednesday, Nov. 24 @ 9:30 Club: Carbon Leaf ($25)
- Saturday, Nov. 27 @ 9:30 Club: KT Tunstall, Hurricane Bells ($25)
- Monday, Nov. 29 @ 9:30 Club: Brandon Flowers ($30)
- Thursday, December 2 @ 9:30 Club: Fun. ($15)
- Friday, December 3 @ 9:30 Club: The Walkmen ($18)
- Saturday, December 4 @ Rock & Roll Hotel: Warpaint ($12/$14)
- Sunday, December 5 @ Black Cat (Backstage): Stornoway, Franz Nicolay & Major General ($10/$12)
- Saturday, December 11 @ Rock & Roll Hotel: Billy Woodward & The Senders ($10)
- Tuesday, December 14 @ Rock & Roll Hotel: S. Carey, White Hinterland ($10/$12)
- Thursday, December 16 @ Black Cat: River James (featuring Vince from Army of Me) ($10)
- Saturday, December [email protected] 9:30 Club: Ghostland Observatory ($27.50)
- Thursday, December 30 @ 9:30 Club: Gogol Bordello ($35)
- Friday, December 31 @ 9:30 Club: Spend New Year’s Even with Gogol Bordello ($55)
Previous Posts from Danny
- Danny’s 4 Nights, 5 Concerts (Part 2)
- 4 Nights, 5 Concerts: 1 Week in Danny’s Life (Part 1)
- On The Lookout: Danny’s Upcoming Must-See Shows
- Danny’s Journey Through Three Unforgettable Concerts
- Music: Danny’s Back with 3 Weekend Picks
- Danny’s 3 Quick Picks for Weekend Live Music
- Weekend Recs: A Live Music Road Map
- Live Music: Recap of a Great 3-Show Weekend