Profile: L’Enfant Cafe on 18th Street
From Alejandra Owens at One Bite At A Time
I thought for our next profile I’d check out everyone’s favorite neighborhood French/crepe/brunch place. At least, it’s one of my favorite French/crepe/brunch places. Unlike some supposed crepe establishments (I’m looking at you, Georgetown), they don’t sell bubble tea. And there are no college kids in sweatpants.
No, no. L’Enfant Cafe attracts a young crowd, but a discerning one. Spring and fall attract a patio loving crowd while summer and winter bring those seeking refuge from the weather and a Stella Artois to cup in their hands.
Even if you came for the crepes your first time (it’s okay, I did, too), you come back for the Belgian Beer happy hour (Tuesdays), weekend brunch (10 am to 3:30 pm) and delicious, comforting foods (french onion soup, hello!).
Are you a L’Enfant regular?
- Where Am I Going: 2000 18th St. NW (aka that mess of an intersection at 18th St./Florida Ave./U St.)
- When Am I Going: Monday to Thursday 6 pm to midnight, Friday 6 pm to 1 am, Saturday 10 am to 1 pm (brunch 10 am to 3:30 pm), Sunday 10 am to noon (brunch 10 am to 3:30 pm).
- Paycheck Pain: You can go easy on your pocketbook with soups and crepes ranging $8 to $12. Or you can go all out for steak frites for $20. Other entrees will run you in the $15-$18 range.
- Say What?: I’ve been here for quiet, boozy brunches, but I’ve also been here for loud, “WHAT!?” style dinners. Let’s just say, Tom Sietsema would be appalled with the evening decibel level. I say it brings everyone closer together… you’ll bond over the early-90s pop music playing.
- What You’ll Be Eating: French food! Crepes! French onion soup! A few well thought out pasta dishes. Filling salads. And… did I mention crepes?
You can check out L’Enfant on their Facebook page and on Twitter for specials, happy hour deals and more.