From Alejandra Owens at One Bite At A Time
This one is for the foodies. Have you ever been to a restaurant where you can tell which dishes the chef has put his/her heart and soul into? The ones they’ve tested over and over to perfect? I tasted that at least four times at Eola.
Eola is a cozy restaurant overlooking P St. whose space has been at least three different things in the last five years. Now it’s a “modern American restaurant” where Chef Dan Singhofen whips up some serious magic.
All I have to say is: Go Brave. Go there willing to try new things. It’s the exotic, different dishes where Chef Dan shines the most.
Yes, his pumpkin soup is silky and smooth like you wouldn’t believe. But his foie gras, pig brain and coddled egg dishes are the ones you will walk away remembering — and not just because you ate pig brain.
The “FBLT” — foie gras “bacon”on truffled brioche with petite greens and maderia aioli — was a dish best served in silence. My friend literally made me stop talking while we ate it because he wanted to savor it that much. We went for crispy pig ears (delightful, really!) to snack on and the pig brain — though ours was prepared differently and did not come in tortellini — was had near the end of the night. And it melted — just melted! — in my mouth in the most orgasmic way. These are items you will not want to miss. I promise.
So readers, would you try Eola‘s pig brain and foie gras dishes?
- Where Am I Going: 2020 P St. NW (P St. & Hopkins St.).
- When Am I Going: Tuesday through Saturday from 5:30 to 10:30 pm
- Paycheck Pain: Appetizers will run you between $8 and $19 while entrees will go for $24 to $31.
- Say What?: You can hear a pin drop.
- What You’ll Be Eating: I bet most folks will go for the pasta dishes, the beef loin or the pork. I was feeling adventurous and went with a foodie friend, so we went headfirst into the more exotic dishes. The chef’s style is modern American, which seems to be a catch-all these days for chefs who are trying new and exciting things — and exciting the meal was!