Would-be robbers and thieves like the holidays, too, with lots of shoppers out and about carrying bags full of gifts. As a result, the MPD always warns DC residents to be a bit more cautious in December. Here are seven tips courtesy of the MPD Third District on how to avoid robberies, based on recent robberies in the city.
Seven Ways to Avoid a Robbery
- When law enforcement advise you to “be aware of your surroundings”, this means, Walk with a purpose, head up, and looking around. Stay in lighted areas at night. The robber doesn’t want to be seen.
- Avoid carrying expensive electronics in plain view, like laptop computers. Recent robbery victims have reported having these items snatched from their hands while walking.
- Stay with the crowd — there is safety in numbers.
- Women should carry their wallet in their pocket, not their purse.
- Don’t leave a purse on a counter, on the back of a chair at a restaurant or in a shopping cart unattended.
- Be conscious of people just “hanging around” anywhere, especially near ATMs, public restrooms, building entrances and garages.
- Notify the police of strangers who are hanging around your home, apartment or place of business for no apparent reason.
Recent crimes of note below the fold.
Crimes of Note
Below is a list of robberies, assaults, stolen autos and burglaries in the Dupont-Logan-U Street area over the past week. Crimes are from police reports for Police Service Areas 208, 307 and 305.
- Friday, December 10, 8:08 pm, 14th and W Streets NW (attempted robbery at service station).
- Sunday, December 12, 7:15 pm, 2100 block of P Street NW (specialty store).
- Monday, December 6, 3:12 am, 1300 block of 14th Street NW (convenience store).
- Wednesday, December 6, 5 to 6 pm, 1600 block of Corcoran Street NW (residence).
- Wednesday, December 8, 10:30 am to 12:30 pm, 1600 block of T Street NW (residence).
- Wednesday, December 8, 9 am to 5:50 pm, 1800 block of 13th Street NW (residence).
- Thursday, December 9, 9:30 am to 6 pm, 2200 block of 12th Street NW (residence).
- Friday, December 10, 3 to 4 pm, 1400 block of Swann Street NW (residence).
- Thursday, December 9, 1300 block of R Street NW.
- Saturday, December 11, 12:50 am to 5 am, 1900 block of 14th Street NW.