The 2010 crime numbers are in for DC. In terms of increases and decreases, how do citywide numbers compare to the Dupont-Logan-U Street areas? Overall, crime was down for both — details follow. All numbers are from the DC MPD Crime Database.
In Dupont-area PSA 208, violent crime was stable compared to 2009, up just 0.7%. Thanks to the 15% decline in property crime, total crime declined 13% in 2010.
Today we look at the Dupont Circle area with numbers for Police Service Area (PSA) 208, which covers the Dupont-Kalorma area. Later this week we will look at Logan Circle (PSA 307), and next week we will have numbers for PSA 305, which includes the U Street area.
For 2010, the total number of crimes in DC — six types of violent crimes and five types of property crimes — declined by 8% from 2009. There were 31,059 total crimes — 7,000 of these were violent crimes and 24,059 were property crimes. Citywide, there were declines in almost every category except for two: assault with a dangerous weapon without a gun (up 3%) and burglaries (up 14%). Homicides declined again in DC, by 8% in 2010 — to 131 from 143 in 2009.
Dupont Circle Numbers
Closer to home, in the Dupont area’s PSA 208, total crime declined in 2010, thanks to a decline in property crime. Violent crime was stable compared to 2009, up just 0.7% in PSA 208. Due to the 15% decline in property crime, total crime declined 13% in 2010. However, there was a huge drop in the number of gun crimes reported in this PSA — 23 in 2010 compared to 43 in 2009. Gun crimes are robberies and assaults (and homicides) committed with guns.
Check Borderstan’s Local Resources Page for links to information on police and crime.
The four-year trend for PSA 208 shows that total crime in 2010 is now lower than it was in 2007 after spiking in the intervening years (figures are in the table below). Compared to 2007, total crime was 7% lower in 2010. Separating violent and property crime out of the total numbers shows that violent crime in 2010 was 12% lower than 2007 while property crime was 6% lower.
Specific Crimes in PSA 208
- There were 175 robberies in PSA 208 in 2010 compared to 179 in 2009; 21 of the robberies were committed with guns compared to 40 in 2009.
- There were 71 assaults in 2010 compared to 67 in 2009; two of the assaults were committed with guns compared to three in 2009.
- The number of burglaries was 170 in both 2010 and 2009.
- Thefts declined 3% in 2010 to 1,006.
- Thefts from autos (“smash and grabs”) declined 38% last year to 459 from the previous year.
- The number of stolen autos increased 12% to 118.
PSA 208 Crime Stats for 2010
Police Service Area 208 / Dupont-Kalorama Area
|Year||Total Crimes||Violent Crimes||Property Crimes||Gun Crimes||Homicides|
|2010||2,018 (-13%)||255 (+0.7%)||1,763 (-15%)||23 (-47%)||0|
- Total Crimes are Violent and Property Crimes combined.
- Violent crimes are homicides, sex abuse, robbery excluding gun, robbery with gun, assault with dangerous weapon excluding gun and assault with dangerous weapon with gun.
- Property crimes are burglary, theft, theft from auto, stolen auto and arson.
- Gun Crimes are robberies and assaults committed with a gun. Gun crimes are counted here in Violent Crimes.
- Homicides are counted as part of Violent Crimes and were most likely committed with guns.
- The percentage numbers in the chart show the change in 2010 from 2009.
- All numbers are from the DC MPD Crime Database.