Action at local galleries is picking up in the post-holiday New Year period. On tap this week are two artist talks (Wednesday and Thursday) and three opening receptions this Saturday — all three are at Logan Circle galleries on 14th Street NW.
Benefit for DC Central Kitchen at Project 4 Gallery
In addition, Project 4 Gallery at 1353 U Street is hosting a fundraiser this Saturday with Benevole, Inc., to benefit DC Central Kitchen: “A Black and White Affair: A Tribute to MLK.” Tickets to Saturday’s benefit are 35 and can be purchased online through Benevole.
In addition, Gregory McLellan, a New York based artist, has donated one of his paintings to this fundraiser. The painting is titled “I Will Dematerialize” and is valued at $5,000 with bidding opening at $1,000. All proceeds from the sale of the painting will benefit DC Central Kitchen.
- Wednesday, January 12 at 7 pm: Artist talk with Magnolia Laurie (“holding up”) and Jon Bobby Benjamin (“going home”). Exhibition closes Saturday.
- At the DC Jewish Community Center’s Ann Loeb Bronfman Gallery on Thursday, January 13 at 7:30 pm: “OFF THE WALL: Mike Schreiber.” New York-based photographer Mike Schreiber will talk about and sign his book True Hip-Hop, a collection of his work over the past thirteen years. “OFF THE WALL” is a series of artist talks as a way of showcasing contemporary Jewish and/or local artists.
Opening Receptions on January 15
- At the Curator’s Office, 1515 14th Street NW: “DEBT: Simon Gouverneur and Andy Moon Wilson.” Reception from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. Exhibition runs through February 12.
- The Viewing Rm. opens at Hemphill Fine Arts with reception at 6:30 pm at 1515 14th Street NW. Show runs through Saturday, March 26.
- At gallery plan b, 1530 14th Street NW in Logan Circle: “Paintings by Paula Amt and Sculpture by Rod Glover.” Reception at 6 pm with second reception on February 14. Exhibition runs through March 6.
Closing This Week
- Closing this Saturday, January 15, at the Hamiltonian Gallery: Magnolia Laurie: “holding up” and Jon Bobby Benjamin: “going home” (at 1353 U Street NW). There is an artist talk on Wednesday, January 12 at 7 pm.
- “ALPTRAUM!” closes this Saturday at the Transformer at 1404 P Street NW.
Check out the listings for exhibitions at 10 galleries in the Logan-Shaw-U Street area below.
|Ann Loeb Bronfman Gallery
DC Jewish Community Center
1529 16th Street NW
|“OFF THE WALL: Mike Schreiber” on Thursday, Jan. 13 at 7:30 pm. “OFF THE WALL” is a series of artist talks as a way of showcasing contemporary Jewish and/or local artists. New York-based photographer Mike Schreiber will talk about and sign his book True Hip-Hop, a collection of his work over the past thirteen years. Gallery Hours: Sunday through Thursday, 10 am to 10 pm; Friday, 10 am to 4 pm|
1515 14th Street NW
|“DEBT: Simon Gouverneur and Andy Moon Wilson.” January 15 reception 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm.
Through February 12. Gallery Hours: Wednesday through Saturday, noon to 6 pm
|gallery plan b
1530 14th Street NW
|Opening Saturday, Jan. 15: “Paintings by Paula Amt and Sculpture by Rod Glover;” reception at 6 pm on the 15th. Second reception on February 14.
Through March 6.Gallery Hours: Wednesday through Saturday, noon to 7 pm; Sunday, 1 pm to 5 pm
1353 U Street NW
|Magnolia Laurie: “holding up” and Jon Bobby Benjamin: “going home”
Artist talk at 7 pm on Wednesday, January 12
Through Saturday, January 15
Gallery Hours: Tuesday through Saturday, noon to 6 pm
|Hemphill Fine Arts
1515 14th Street NW
|Viewing Rm. opens Saturday, January 15 with reception at 6:30 pm
Through Saturday, March 26
Gallery Hours: Tuesday through Saturday, 10 am to 5 pm
1412 14th Street NW
|“Saturnalia: New Work by Gallery Artists” opens Saturday, January 8.
Through Saturday, February 12Gallery Hours: Tuesday through Saturday, 11 am to 6 pm
|Joan Hisaoka Healing Arts Gallery
Smith Farm Center for Healing and the Arts
1632 U Street NW
|The gallery is temporarily closed.
Gallery will reopen when expansion work is finished; however, the Center has invited artists to take over their window display.
The In-Flux Window Peep Show is on display 24 hours during construction starting in January 2011.
|Long View Gallery
1234 9th Street NW
|Opening Thursday, January 20: Ernesto Santalla: “Symmetries.” Reception 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm.
Gallery Hours: Wednesday through Saturday, 11 am to 6 pm; Sunday, noon to 5 pm
|Project 4 Gallery
1353 U Street NW
|Watch for upcoming exhibitions.Gallery Hours: Wednesday through Saturday, noon to 6 pm|
1404 P Street NW
Trough Saturday, January 15 Gallery Hours:Wednesday through Saturday, 1 pm to 7 pm