The 2010 crime numbers are in for DC. In terms of increases and decreases, how do citywide numbers compare to the Dupont-Logan-U Street areas? Overall, crime was down for both.
In Logan-area PSA 307, violent crime was down 13% in 2010 from 2009. Property crimes — 81% of all crimes — declined 23%. As a result, total crime was down 22% from last year. There were declines in every category except burglaries.
Today we look at the Logan Circle area with numbers for Police Service Area (PSA) 307. Monday we reported on Dupont Circle and PSA 208: 2010: Crime Down 13% in Dupont’s PSA 208. Next week we will look at PSA 305, which includes the U Street area. All numbers are from the DC MPD Crime Database.
For 2010, the total number of crimes in DC — six types of violent crimes and five types of property crimes — declined by 8% from 2009 while property crime declined by 8%. Total crime (the two categories together) was down 8% in D.C. in 2010.
In D.C. there were 31,059 total crimes — 7,000 of these were violent crimes and 24,059 were property crimes. Citywide, there were declines in every category except for two: assault with a dangerous weapon without a gun (up 3%) and burglaries (up 14%). Homicides declined again in DC, by 8% in 2010 — to 131 from 143 in 2009.
Logan Circle Numbers
In Logan-area PSA 307, violent crime was down 13% in 2010 from 2009. Property crimes — 81% of all crimes — declined 23%. As a result, total crime was down 22% last year.
There was a 30% drop in the number of gun crimes reported in PSA 307 — 35 in 2010 compared to 50 in 2009. Gun crimes are robberies and assaults (and homicides) committed with guns. There were two homicides last year in the Logan area — one in a 10th Street apartment and another on 11th Street.
Check Borderstan’s Local Resources Page for links to information on police and crime.
The four-year trend for PSA 307 shows that total crime in 2010 was 23% lower than in 2007. Violent crime has declined 20% in that period while property crime declined 24%.
Specific Crimes in PSA 307
- There were 111 robberies in PSA 307 in 2010 compared to 119 in 2009; 32 of the robberies were committed with guns compared to 44 in 2009.
- There were 25 assaults in 2010 compared to 42 in 2009; three of the assaults were committed with guns compared to six in 2009.
- The number of burglaries was up slightly to 71 last year from 67 in 2009.
- Thefts declined 10% in 2010 to 266.
- Thefts from autos (“smash and grabs”) declined 39% last year to 230.
- The number of stolen autos declined 26% to 55.
PSA 307 Crime Stats for 2010
Police Service Area 307
|Year||Total Crimes||Violent Crimes||Property Crimes||Gun Crimes||Homicides|
|2010||768 (-22%)||146 (-13%)||622 (-23%)||35 (-30%)||2|
- Total Crimes are Violent and Property Crimes combined.
- Violent crimes are homicides, sex abuse, robbery excluding gun, robbery with gun, assault with dangerous weapon excluding gun and assault with dangerous weapon with gun.
- Property crimes are burglary, theft, theft from auto, stolen auto and arson.
- Gun Crimes are robberies and assaults committed with a gun. Gun crimes are counted here in Violent Crimes.
- Homicides are counted as part of Violent Crimes and were most likely committed with guns.
- The percentage numbers in the chart show the change in 2010 from 2009.
- All numbers are from the DC MPD Crime Database.