The number of crimes in Logan Circle’s Police Service Area (PSA) 307 last month was the same as in January 2010: 47. However the distribution by type was a bit different. Last month there were only three violent crimes in the entire PSA, compared to 11 in January 2010. Property crimes were up, though: 44 in January 2011 compared to 36 in January 2010.
Check Borderstan’s Local Resources Page for links to information on police and crime.
However, the other part of the story is how those numbers compare to the previous two Januarys. In January 2008, there were 99 crimes in PSA 307, and the following year (January 2009), there were 87 crimes. The drop in total crimes from 99 in January 2008 to 47 in January 2011 is a 53% decrease. There were 14 violent crimes in January 2008 compared to three last month, while the number of property crimes declined from 85 to 44.
Specific Crimes in PSA 307
- There were zero robberies in PSA 307 in January compared to nine in January 2010.
- There were three assaults last month compared to two in January 2010. None of the assaults last month involved a gun.
- The number of burglaries was the same: six last month and six the previous January.
- Thefts increased from nine in January 2010 to 13 last month.
- Thefts from autos (“smash and grabs”) increased noticeably. There were 22 last month compared to 13 in January 2010.
- The number of stolen autos declined from eight in January 2010 to only two last month.
PSA 307 Crime Stats for January
Police Service Area 307
|Year||Total Crimes||Violent Crimes||Property Crimes||Gun Crimes||Homicides|
- Total Crimes are Violent and Property Crimes combined.
- Violent crimes are homicides, sex abuse, robbery excluding gun, robbery with gun, assault with dangerous weapon excluding gun and assault with dangerous weapon with gun.
- Property crimes are burglary, theft, theft from auto, stolen auto and arson.
- Gun Crimes are robberies and assaults committed with a gun. Gun crimes are counted here in Violent Crimes.
- Homicides are counted as part of Violent Crimes and were most likely committed with guns.