The number of crimes in Police Service Area (PSA) 208 in January rose 23% when compared to January 2010 due to a large increase in the number of thefts from autos (smash-and-grabs) and burglaries. The numbers are on a year-over-year (YOY) basis with last month’s numbers compared to January 2010. PSA 208 covers the Dupont-Kalorama area.
There were 173 crimes last month in 208, compared to 143 the previous January. The increase was due entirely to rising property crime, not violent crime — there were 18 violent crimes in the PSA last month compared to 19 in January 2010.
But, the number of smash-and-grabs in January 2011 was double from last January: 58 last month compared to 29 in January 2010. In addition, burglaries were up almost three times from last year — there were 26 burglaries in PSA 208 last month compared to 10 in January 2010.
What does the trend line show? In January 2008, there were 188 crimes in PSA 208 (18 of them violent crimes) and in January 2009 there were 185 crimes (19 of them violent crimes). Over the past three years, property crimes have dropped noticeably in January 2010, but last month were back at levels comparable to 2008 and 2009. However, the number of violent crimes for the month has remained almost exactly the same each year.
Specific Crimes in PSA 208
- Robberies were down. There were eight robberies in PSA 208 in January (two with guns) compared to 13 in January 2010 (two with guns).
- Assaults were up. There were 10 assaults last month, compared to six in January 2010 (when one was with a gun).
- Gun crimes were down. Gun crimes are all crimes committed with guns. There were two last month compared to three in January 2010.
- Burglaries were up significantly in PSA 208. There were 26 burglaries last compared to 10 in January 2010.
- Thefts were down. Thefts decreased from 76 in January 2010 to 67 last month.
- Thefts from autos (“smash and grabs”) doubled in PSA 208. There were 58 last month compared to 29 in January 2010.
- Fewer cars were stolen. The number of stolen autos declined from nine in January 2010 to four last month.
PSA 208 Crime Stats for January
Police Service Area 208
|Year||Total Crimes||Violent Crimes||Property Crimes||Gun Crimes||Homicides|
- Total Crimes are Violent and Property Crimes combined.
- Violent crimes are homicides, sex abuse, robbery excluding gun, robbery with gun, assault with dangerous weapon excluding gun and assault with dangerous weapon with gun.
- Property crimes are burglary, theft, theft from auto, stolen auto and arson.
- Gun Crimes are robberies and assaults committed with a gun. Gun crimes are counted here in Violent Crimes.
- Homicides are counted as part of Violent Crimes and were most likely committed with guns.