Few things say St. Patrick’s day more than a green beer, an Irish band playing in the background and singing an Irish ballad or two.
Okay, so where does one partake in the green-beer-singing-hopping around fun? D.C. might not be Boston (or New York or Chicago), rich with Irish pubs and a history of Irish immigrants, but we do have a few great bars to enjoy the day of the patron saint of Ireland.
Laura and I pulled together of best bets and a few good deals for when you make your way out this week. Do you guys have plans to celebrate? Where will you be?
Bars to Hit and Their Best Deals
- The Blaguard falls just outside the boundaries at 18th Street and Florida Avenue/U Street NW, but is a hidden gem of a bar.
- Duffy’s Irish Pub is the District’s Irish bar in resident. With Irish dancers, an Irish bar, Guiness and Jameson girls and green beer, you better get there early. There’s no cover from noon to 2 pm, $5 from 2 to 3 pm and $10 after 3 pm. The first 200 people get a free T-shirt to commemorate the day. Don’t forget to grab $2 Green Jello shooters and $5 green beer. Duffy’s is at 2106 Vermont Avenue NW, across from the 9:30 Club.
- James Hoban’s Irish Restaurant is located off the southwest side of Dupont Circle (address is 1 Dupont Circle) and serves up dishes such as Irish Stew and shepherd’s pie along with other pub favorites like burgers and fish and chips. Happy hour prices will last from 9 am to 2 pm, so that’s $5 imported drafts, $4 domestic drafts, $4 imported bottles, $3 domestic bottles and $4 rail drinks and glasses of wine.
- Solly’s Tavern is a long-time favorite you can go to on St. Patrick’s Day, at 11th and U Streets NW.
- Maddy’s Bar and Grille can’t be called thew newcomer to Dupont any longer. With a loyal following, lots of space and solid bar food, you can’t beat it! Location is 1726 Connecticut Avenue NW, just south of S Street on the west side of the avenue.