Logan Circle: Property Crime Up in March
Year-over-year property crime as up in March in the Logan Circle area. There were 63 reported crimes in the Logan Circle’s Police Service Area (PSA) 307 last month compared to 48 in March of 2010.
The increase was due to more property crime, specifically thefts from autos (“smash and grabs”) and thefts. Last month there were 52 property crimes in PSA 307 compared to 35 in March 2010.
The number of violent crimes last month decreased to 11 from 13 in March 2010. Of the 11 violent crimes last month in PSA 307, one was a homicide (on 11th Street NW) while seven were robberies (two with guns) and three were assaults (none with guns). All numbers are from the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) Crime Database and details are below the fold.
How do the numbers for March 2011 and March 2010 compare to 2009 and 2008? In March 2008, there were 52 crimes in PSA 307 (seven violent, 45 property), and in January 2009 there were 87 crimes (12 of them violent, 75 property). See the chart below the fold for more details.
The boundaries of PSA 307 are 9th to 15th Streets NW and from L to S Streets NW.
Specific Crimes in PSA 307
- There was one homicide in March, on 11th Street NW.
- There were seven robberies (two with guns) in PSA 307 in March 2011 compared to nine (three with guns) in March 2010.
- There were three assaults last month compared to two in March 2010. None of the assaults last month involved a gun.
- The number of burglaries was the same: one last month and one the previous March.
- Thefts doubled from 11 in March 2010 to 22 last month.
- Thefts from autos (“smash and grabs”) increased by 50%. There were 27 last month compared to 18 in January 2010.
- The number of stolen autos declined from five in March 2010 to only two last month.
PSA 307 Crime Stats for March
Police Service Area 307
|Year||Total Crimes||Violent Crimes||Property Crimes||Gun Crimes||Homicides|
- Total Crimes are Violent and Property Crimes combined.
- Violent crimes are homicides, sex abuse, robbery excluding gun, robbery with gun, assault with dangerous weapon excluding gun and assault with dangerous weapon with gun.
- Property crimes are burglary, theft, theft from auto, stolen auto and arson.
- Gun Crimes are robberies and assaults committed with a gun. Gun crimes are also counted here in Violent Crimes.
- Homicides are counted as part of Violent Crimes and were most likely committed with guns.
- All numbers are from the MPD Crime Database.