The D.C. special election is finally at hand: Tuesday, April 26. Voters across D.C. will elect an At-Large member of the D.C. Council from one of nine candidates on the ballot (links to candidate websites provided). The seat opened up when Kwame Brown was elected Council chairman in November. Sekou Biddle was appointed the seat until Tuesday’s special election.
For more information on the candidates, check out the Washington City Paper’s Voter Guide: The April 26 At-Large Special Election as well as the site Four26 and DCist’s Voter Guide: The April 26 At-Large Special Election. Borderstan did non-political profiles on candidates Joshua Lopez, Patrick Mara and Bryan Weaver.
The polls in D.C. open at 7 am and close at 8 pm. Don’t know where you vote? Go to the DC Board of Elections and Ethics (DCBOEE) Polling Place Locator, put in your home address and get your polling place information. Precinct locations for the Dupont-Logan-U Street area also listed below.
Same-Day Voter Registration
If you are not registered to vote, you can register and vote on Tuesday — this is only the third time D.C. has allowed same-day registration. Here is what you need to bring to your polling place on Tuesday — if you are not already registered — according to BOEE:
“To register to vote during early voting or on Election Day, you must bring a driver’s license, bank statement, utility bill, government check or paycheck, or other government document showing your current name and address and cast a special ballot subject to verification by the Board.”
Voting Places: Local Precincts
- 13 – St. Margaret’s Episcopal Church, 1820 Connecticut Avenue NW
- 14 – St. Thomas Episcopal Church Parish, 1772 Church Street NW
- 15 – Foundry United Methodist Church, 1500 16th Street NW
- 16 – Fifteenth Street Presbyterian Church, 1701 15th Street NW
- 17 – Charles Sumner School, 1201 17th Street NW
- 18 – Henry C. Gregory III Family Life Center, 1509 9th Street NW
- 21 – Vermont Avenue Baptist Church, 1630 Vermont Avenue NW
- 129 – Martin Luther King Library, 901 G Street NW
U Street Area
- 22 – Garnet-Patterson Jr. High School, 2001 10th Street NW
- 23 – MPD Boys and Girls Club, 2500 14th Street NW
- 24 – Marie Reed Learning Center, 2200 Champlain Street NW
- 137 – Garrison Elementary School, 1200 S Street NW
- 141 – Frank D. Reeves Municipal Center, 2000 14th Street NW