From Matty Rhoades
While violent crime declined, the number of property crimes in Police Service Area (PSA) 208 in March soared 69% over March 2010. Burglaries and thefts were up, but it it was the huge increase in thefts from autos (smash-and-grabs) that drove the increase in March’s crime stats.
PSA 208 covers the Dupont-Kalorama area. We compare crime statistics on a year-over-year basis by month; this helps account for seasonal differences in crime. All numbers are from the MPD Crime Database.
Property Crime Up from March 2010
There were 208 property crimes last month in PSA 208, compared to 123 in March 2010. For example, the number of smash-and-grabs in March 2011 was more than double from last March: 96 last month compared to 39 in March 2010.
In addition, burglaries were up almost three times from last year — there were 20 burglaries in PSA 208 last month compared to seven in March 2010. Thefts increased from 69 in March 2010 to 84 last month.
However, the 16 violent crimes last month in PSA 208 was a decline from March 2010 when there 21 such crimes. But, the huge rise in property crimes drove total crime (violent and property combined) up 56% in March 2011 when compared to March 2010.
What does the trendline show for PSA 208?
- March 2011: 224 crimes (16 of them violent crimes)
- March 2010: 144 crimes (21 of them violent crimes)
- March 2009: 170 crimes (22 of them violent crimes)
- March 2008: 175 crimes (21 of them violent crimes)
Over the past three years, the number of property crimes in March has risen 35% while the number of violent crimes has declined by 24%. On a year-over-year basis, the total number of crimes in PSA 208 was 28% higher in March 2011 than in March 2008, all due to more property crimes.
Below the fold: Specific crimes in March in PSA 208 and a look at March numbers for 2008 through 2011.
Specific Crimes in PSA 208
- Robberies were down. There were 10 robberies in PSA 208 in March (one with a gun) compared to 16 in March 2010 (five with guns).
- Assaults were up slightly. There were six assaults last month (none with a gun), compared to five in March 2010 (one was with a gun).
- Gun crimes were down. Gun crimes are all crimes committed with guns. There was one last month compared to six in March 2010.
- Burglaries were up significantly in PSA 208. There were 20 burglaries last month compared to seven in March 2010.
- Thefts were up. Thefts increased from 69 in January 2010 to 84 last month.
- Thefts from autos (“smash and grabs”) more than doubled in PSA 208. There were 96 last month compared to 39 in March 2010.
- The number of stolen autos was steady. There were eight last month, the same as in March 2010.
PSA 208 Crime Stats for March
Police Service Area 208
|Year||Total Crimes||Violent Crimes||Property Crimes||Gun Crimes||Homicides|
- Total Crimes are Violent and Property Crimes combined.
- Violent crimes are homicides, sex abuse, robbery excluding gun, robbery with gun, assault with dangerous weapon excluding gun and assault with dangerous weapon with gun.
- Property crimes are burglary, theft, theft from auto, stolen auto and arson.
- Gun Crimes are robberies and assaults committed with a gun. Gun crimes are counted here in Violent Crimes.
- Homicides are counted as part of Violent Crimes and were most likely committed with guns.