From Matty Rhoades
Total crime in the Logan Circle area was up slightly in April from the previous year. On a year-over-year (YOY) basis, there were 58 crimes reported in Police Service Area (PSA) 307 last month, compared to 52 in April 2010.
PSA 307 covers an area from L Street NW on the south to S Street NW on the north and from 9th Street NW on the east to 15th Street NW on the west. All numbers are from the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) Crime Database.
Most of the increase can be attributed to thefts from autos (“smash and grabs”) or “TFAs,” but there were also slightly more robberies and assaults last month than in April 2010. At the same time, burglaries declined and the number of thefts held steady on a YOY basis.
What does the April trendline show for PSA 307?
- April 2011: 58 crimes (10 of them violent crimes)
- April 2010: 52 crimes (10 of them violent crimes)
- April 2009: 80 crimes* (9 of them violent crimes)
- April 2008: 52 crimes (9 of them violent crimes)
*The spike in property crimes in April 2009 was due to a huge rise in TFAs. In April 2008 there were 13 TFAs, which jumped to 41 in April 2009 but then declined to 13 in April 2010 before rising again last month to 21.
Specific Crimes in PSA 307
- There was zero homicides in April.
- There were no sex abuse cases reported last month compared to three in April 2010.
- There were eight robberies (three with guns) in PSA 307 in April 2011 compared to six (none with guns) in April 2010.
- There were two assaults last month compared to one in April 2010. One of the assaults last month involved a gun.
- The number of burglaries decreased from last year: one last month compared to three in April 2010.
- The number of thefts from autos (“smash and grabs”) was up noticeably: 21 last month compared to 13 in April of last year.
- The number of thefts was steady YOY: 23 last month compared to 24 in April of 2010.
- The number of stolen autos increased from two in April 2010 to three last month.
PSA 307 Crime Stats for March
Police Service Area 307
|Year||Total Crimes||Violent Crimes||Property Crimes||Gun Crimes||Homicides|
- Total Crimes are Violent and Property Crimes combined.
- Violent crimes are homicides, sex abuse, robbery excluding gun, robbery with gun, assault with dangerous weapon excluding gun and assault with dangerous weapon with gun.
- Property crimes are burglary, theft, theft from auto, stolen auto and arson.
- Gun Crimes are robberies and assaults committed with a gun. Gun crimes are also counted here in Violent Crimes.
- Homicides are counted as part of Violent Crimes and were most likely committed with guns.
- All numbers are from the MPD Crime Database.