From Matty Rhoades
Welcome to the Post Cinco de Mayo edition of our weekly Crimes of Note. Two crimes from the past week stand out, particularly given the dates.
Top honors go to three guys who got into a brawl that broke out in a 17th Street NW establishment on the 1600 block (which is somewhere between Q and R Streets NW) on Friday, May 6 at 1:15 am. We attempted to find out which establishment, but no luck so far. From the police report:
“The reporting person stated that a verbal altercation ensued between three patrons of their establishment. The altercation turned into an all-out brawl with fixtures being removed from the walls of the establishment and used as thrown weapons. All three suspects fled the scene before the arrival of the MPD [Metropolitan Police Department]. The suspects were described as: #1-Black/Male, 5’5″-5’7″, 150-160 lbs. with a medium complexion and a slender build. He was last seen wearing a black shirt and blue pants. #2-Unk./Race, 20-25 YOA, 5’7″-5’9″, 160-180 lbs. with a medium complexion and an average build. He was last seen wearing a black shirt, blue shirt and jacket. #3-Unk. Description.”
Second place in the post-Cinco de Mayo “I-drank-too-many-shots” crime competition goes to the person who thought that driving the cab home would be easier than reaching agreement on the fare. Time was 11:15 pm on the 5th of May near 15th and P Streets NW. The police report said:
“The victim reported that after transporting a fare, he and the customer became involved in a verbal altercation. During the exchange, the passenger jumped into the driver’s seat and stole the victim’s auto. A passing off-duty MPD officer was flagged down and soon after stopped the suspect and arrested him. This is a closed case.”
Here are the rest of the crimes of note from the past week. The following is a list of robberies, assaults, sex crimes, drug crimes, stolen autos and burglaries in the Dupont Circle, Logan Circle and U Street neighborhoods. Crimes are from police reports for Police Service Areas (PSAs) 208 (Dupont-Kalorama), 305 (includes U Street area) and 307 (Logan Circle).
- Thursday, May 5, 4:32 pm, 1800 block of 14th Street NW (restaurant).
- Saturday, May 7, 10:30 pm, 1800 block of 12th Street NW (parking garage).
- Monday, May 9, 5 pm, 13th and V Streets NW.
- Monday, May 9, 10 pm, 1900 block of 11th Street NW (sidewalk).
- Monday, May 9, 5 pm, 2000 block of 13th Street NW (sidewalk).
Assault with a Deadly Weapon
- Friday, May 6, 3 am, 1400 block of 22nd Street NW (street).
- Saturday, May 7, 11:25 pm, 1800 block of 9th Street NW (sidewalk).
- Saturday, May 7, 3:40 am, 2100 block of Florida Avenue NW (sidewalk).
- Thursday, May 5, 8:10 to 10 pm, 1500 block of 17th Street NW (residence): “The victim reported that an unknown suspect(s) entered their home, possibly, through an unlocked window. Once inside they stole several items to include a laptop computer, jewelry and other personal items. There is no lookout for this offense.”
- Friday, May 6, 8:15 am to 6:24 pm, 1700 block of 20th Street NW (residence).
- Friday, May 6, 4:45 to 4:50 pm, 1700 block of 20th Street NW (residence).
- Saturday, May 7 to Sunday, May 8, 1300 block of Q Street NW (residence).
- Saturday, May 7, 2:30 to 11:45 pm, 1300 block of Q Street NW (residence).
- Saturday, May 7, to Sunday, May 8, 2000 block of 13th Street NW (residence).
- Sunday, May 8, 4:20 to 4:55 pm, 1300 block of Riggs Place NW (residence).
- Sunday, May 8, 1600 block of 14th Street NW (supermarket).
- Saturday, May 7 to Sunday, May 8, 10th and W Streets NW (street).