From Matty Rhoades
While violent crime was steady, the number of property crimes in Police Service Area (PSA) 208 in April increased 31% over April 2010. Burglaries, thefts and thefts from autos (“smash and grabs”) were all up. In terms of violent crimes, robberies dropped noticeably, but assaults increased to keep the level of violent crime steady on a year-over-year (YOY) basis in April.
On a YOY basis, there were 193 crimes (both violent and property) reported in PSA 208 last month, compared to 152 in April 2010. There were 171 property crimes last month in PSA 208, compared to 152 in April 2010; property crimes typically make up the bulk of all crimes. There were 22 violent crimes last month compared to 21 in April 2010.
The same trend was evident in PSA 208 in March when property crime increased 69% on a YOY basis from March 2010. The most noticeable increase in March was in thefts from autos, which were up 146%; thefts and burglaries also increased in March.
PSA 208 covers the Dupont-Kalorama area. We compare crime statistics on a year-over-year basis by month; this helps account for seasonal differences in crime. All numbers are from the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) Crime Database.
Specific Crimes in PSA 208
- Robberies were down. There were nine robberies in PSA 208 in April (one with a gun) compared to 18 in April 2010 (four with guns).
- Assaults were up dramatically. There were 11 assaults last month (one with a gun), compared to two in April 2010 (none were with a gun).
- Gun crimes were down. Gun crimes are all crimes committed with guns. There were two last month compared to four in April 2010.
- There were two reported sex abuse crimes last month compared to one in April 2010.
- Burglaries were up significantly in PSA 208. There were 20 burglaries last month compared to 10 in April 2010.
- Thefts were up. Thefts increased from 62 in April 2010 to 81 last month.
- Thefts from autos (“smash and grabs”) were up in PSA 208. There were 66 last month compared to 49 in April 2010.
- The number of stolen autos was down. There were four last month, compared to 10 in April 2010.
Below the fold: A look at April numbers for 2008 through 2011.
What does the trendline show for PSA 208?
- April 2011: 193 crimes (22 of them violent crimes)
- April 2010: 152 crimes (21 of them violent crimes)
- April 2009: 170 crimes (20 of them violent crimes)
- April 2008: 154 crimes (27 of them violent crimes)
Over the past three years, the number of property crimes in April has risen 35% while the number of violent crimes has declined by 24%. On a year-over-year basis, the total number of crimes in PSA 208 was 28% higher in April 2011 than in April 2008, all due to more property crimes.
PSA 208 Crime Stats for April
Police Service Area 208
|Year||Total Crimes||Violent Crimes||Property Crimes||Gun Crimes||Homicides|
- Total Crimes are Violent and Property Crimes combined.
- Violent crimes are homicides, sex abuse, robbery excluding gun, robbery with gun, assault with dangerous weapon excluding gun and assault with dangerous weapon with gun.
- Property crimes are burglary, theft, theft from auto, stolen auto and arson.
- Gun Crimes are robberies and assaults committed with a gun. Gun crimes are counted here in Violent Crimes.
- Homicides are counted as part of Violent Crimes and were most likely committed with guns.
- All numbers are from the MPD Crime Database.